Volvo C303

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo C303

Just thought I would add another odd vehicle to the repower list. I have started the process of converting my C303 to the R2.8. Should have my adapters back from the machine shop late this week. Here is a cheezy build video, I will try to update with another soon enough.

https://youtu.be/c1FT6wMAY5Q

Dang. A Mog and now a C303 build. I feel like I'm slacking with a plain'ole Bronco build.

Nice video and CAD work. Are you going to use the two 10mm dowel pins to center the adapter plate on the R2.8?

Comment

Yes, I am using the 2 10mm pins top and bottom for the plate. Then the factory 12mm for the Volvo side. The flywheel adapter requires minor work on the Cummins flywheel to set a pilot so the adapter remains concentric and I have a solid set surface to fasten the adapter. And finally, the Volvo flywheel is concentric based on the original pilot it has from the factory. So aside from checking balance, it should all line up perfectly.

Comment

So if I read that right, you are going the dual-flywheel route like they did with Tubesock's first 2.8 Cummins?

Comment

That is correct, honestly, this truck will benefit from the extra flywheel mass and in the end when I finally pulled my Volvo flywheel I was shocked at how light it is.

I did plan and draw out a couple different options with one being using the Cummins flywheel only. Though it would work just fine and even make things fit a tad better, I decided to take the easy way out.

I can’t imagine feeling like I am loosing on acceleration with this particular truck due to double flywheels. It’s going to be a rocket as compared to the original engine. The stock engine was around 120hp and 140lb-ft.

Comment

That's going to be a slick ride. I like the C303 - I never could find a good deal on one, it took me 3 years to find a good deal on a 404, you have to have patience when your as cheap as I am.

Comment

Dokatd Seeing yours caused me to do a quick search-- Check out the great sales pitch for this C303 https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/c...808610816.html

Comment

That one is pretty rough.

Comment

Quick vid showing the adapter in CAD.

Comment

So the engine is mounted and fits well. I will do another build video at some point soon. That said, does anyone know the viability of running without an intercooler. Is there a factory detune that ran without an intercooler. Ultimately I can squeeze in a water to air intercooler, but it will take up cab space in the back and I honestly don’t know that I need the full output of the R2.8. Probably just kicking tires on this idea, but it would be nice to know.

Comment

I think there was some build or something early on where someone spoke with Cummins and that the intercooler wasn't exactly necessary. I was thinking EGR needed it, but honestly I'm talking out of my butt for the most part.

Comment

After going back it appears Tube Sock didn't use an intercooler. But that was a specialized setup and was actually an ISF engine not the R2.8 specific configuration. I think I have a water to air setup figured out which will be nice offroad anyways.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the damn oil lines. I would love to speak to the idiot who designed the external oil filter on this setup.

On a better note, I should be driving in a couple few weeks. Engine runs (Of Course) and the drive train conversion is working flawless so far. Loaded clutch up with the parking break on the back of the T-case and everyting is smooth and solid. Just final plumbing and fitting of last little bits.

Comment

Working...
                        X