Just saying G'day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saying G'day

Hi, have joined up to try and expand the knowledge-base for all 2.8 Cummins owners, and those considering becoming an owner. I'm hoping more owners find their way to this forum.

Down here we do not have the R2.8 repower package, but we have had the ISF2.8 (and 3.8) in a few different configurations for a number of years now. However, I was told that Cummins plan on releasing the repower package here in 2018.

Anyway, I will be fitting a 2.8 into an older truck soon and will create a build thread when it kicks off. My engine is model CM2220EC which has the same EGR, Exhaust Catalyst and flywheel housing as the R2.8L, so I am basically going to go through the same things as repower builds.

Mine will be automatic trans, but I am tossing up whether to go GM or Daimler 6 speed. I was set on a 6L** up until last week when I learnt that the 2.8L is now available with a factory-fit Daimler trans so I need to chase that option down as bolt-in is better than adapt in my opinion. If I do go with the GM, I will be bolting the torque convertor straight to the engine flywheel / flexplate - so NO crank adapter / dual flywheel, which will save me weight, length, $$$, and strain on the crank.

Once I have the trans choice locked in I can gather the rest of my parts and start a build thread.

Welcome!
    I am intrigued as to what Daimler trans will bolt to the Cummins flywheel housing unless you got a SAE housing on yours? Post some photos of your engine when you can that would help.
    I would like to know more.... mainly because I'm a nerd and like things as this.

I also would like to know what flex plate you have or can get down your way. Part numbers are great as I can then source here. The other item I am interested in on your engine is what fan you will be using?
    If you are planning on using a mechanical fan I would love to pick your brain for part numbers from the engine.

Welcome again and look forward to more builds and conversations!

Comment

Thanks!

Daimler trans: I am hoping to source part numbers next week. I have no idea if it is new design, or simply a new convertor housing. Mind you, it could use an adapter on existing trans.

My engine is from a Foton Tunland - the Tunland and the Foton suv (there are different names for suv depending on market region) have only been manual trans up until now, with the auto just being announced. Foton has partnerships with many companies. Getrag for trans, Dana for axles, Bosch for ABS, and apparently Daimler with the truck range.

Flywheel housing: Quickserve shows mine as 5308075. I have attached a pic showing it is the thin, non-SAE housing. Information from Cummins is that my housing is the same as the R2.8

Flexplate: I was not overly concerned with that just yet. My options were: try to source genuine Cummins, modify the flywheel or have a flexplate made. Now I might have the option of buying one from Foton.

Fan: I will be using electric fans for two reasons. [1] the harness and ECU is already configured from the OE install [2] The repower install guide states "Mechanical fan drives are not recommended for use on the R2.8 CM2220 R101B engine." (Bulletin 5504137 pg 1-17).
      But, then again, how is your Russian..? Sorry about the long link but the Russian characters cause some issues. Link still works though.

http://servismanu.ru/%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0...b969f5d9a.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_4322.JPG Views:	2 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	175
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Just Another Guy; 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM.

Comment

That does look like the r2.8 flywheel housing. I would be very interested in some transmission options you have existing in the Foton. Strangely searching for information on the foton in the states brings up more Chinese than anything, and I am no good at reading it....
        I know there are a bunch of people that would be interested as it could make for easy swaps. By those of us like myself just importing parts.

What type of truck are you installing it in?

Comment

Post up some photos of it, if you don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
            Post up some photos of it, if you don't mind.
            Is nothing but a collection of parts at the moment, and not much to see. As soon as I sort my trans and start work I will start a build thread and put up pics.

Comment

very interested in some transmission options you have existing in the Foton. .
              There are a couple of different trans available, all are Chinese versions made under licence. I believe mine is copy of a Toyota, but I could be wrong (the Tunland is Chinese copy of Hilux, all suspension parts are direct interchange). I have a 2WD obviously, there are also 4WD with Getrag, plus a 2WD Getrag in the dual cab.

I can appreciate your interest in the trans we have. Isn't the 2.8 common in Brazil or similar?

Comment

It is fairly common world wide.... importing parts into the US can be a pain from some country's. Also finding people who know what we are sometimes searching for can be difficult.

I understand the pile of parts! I didn't know what type of truck you were working on.

Comment

I understand the pile of parts! I didn't know what type of truck you were working on.
                  Ahh, got ya. 1941 Ford 11T. They originally had 20" wheels, etc. I am changing all the mechanical parts so will end up with 16" wheels, D70, etc. Keeping the original chassis / frame.
                  Last edited by Just Another Guy; 10-28-2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Very nice, that should be a good build out for the 2.8. Keep us posted how it progresses and I will be doing more searching on the transmissions above.

Comment

Still around here? If so I have some questions for ya...... like can you look for some small parts for us yanks. I would like to know what AC compressor and lines you have on a Foton with the 2.8.

Comment

hi from australia i have a foton pickup i will be wrecking and be using the r2.8 tio fit to a hilux casing info on the wiring side of thing if any one wants photos or info on AC compressor and lines or bellhousing and gear box just ask thanks dave

Comment

Originally posted by davo View Post
                          hi from australia i have a foton pickup i will be wrecking and be using the r2.8 tio fit to a hilux casing info on the wiring side of thing if any one wants photos or info on AC compressor and lines or bellhousing and gear box just ask thanks dave
                          I'm in the US where we can't get the newish Hilux. Do you think the R2.8 is a better fit? I was looking at converting our Tacoma to a Hilux engine/transmission and hoping I can keep everything mostly stock. It has crossed my mind to go R2.8 with a 6 speed auto.

Comment

i planing to put it in a 90s hilux the foton pickup is a 2wd one the run a copy of the toyota gearbox so i have every thing needed for the engine to gerabox

Comment

Originally posted by davo View Post
                              Please post photos of the ac setup and lines. Intake to turbo as well if you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X