Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from Tennessee

Hello from East TN!

I found my way here looking for info on the R2.8. I am currently looking at the possibility of dropping one in my 1989 YJ. Unfortunately, there's a possibility I may be relocating to Colorado (in an emissions testing area) within the next few years. I've been on the search for success stories for those who have gotten swaps like this tested/approved in Colorado. No luck so far... In any case, glad to be here!

Jeff

Welcome to the forum. Should be a cool project. Maybe you could get some sort of antique plates or something? I'm in KY so no testing here, they just tax us the old fashioned way (every which way and often).

It's too bad the people worried about carbon and emissions won't get together and use math (a spreadsheet can go a long way) and common sense, rather than feelings. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the testing, but I just couldn't imagine the press of a button on a programmer wouldn't get you passed with flying colors and then rolling coal if that's what you wanted a click away.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
      Welcome to the forum. Should be a cool project. Maybe you could get some sort of antique plates or something? I'm in KY so no testing here, they just tax us the old fashioned way (every which way and often).

It's too bad the people worried about carbon and emissions won't get together and use math (a spreadsheet can go a long way) and common sense, rather than feelings. I guess I'm not too familiar with all the testing, but I just couldn't imagine the press of a button on a programmer wouldn't get you passed with flying colors and then rolling coal if that's what you wanted a click away.
      I'm with you on the common sense thing. I'm not familiar with the process either. I've been in Tennessee my whole life so I've never had to deal with this. The worst part is it seems to vary from state to state. Seems to me it would be reasonable to establish a standard like "Does this engine produce less than or equal to the amount of (bad stuff) than the original motor?" Yes? All good then. That would make sense though...

Comment

I think maybe Digger may have some experience with Colorado.

I looked through some of the stuff online, before I felt like I was going to fall asleep and it almost seemed like different counties had different requirements. That's how it used to be in KY. I know Louisville/ Jefferson County used to be a pain for guys, so they'd figure some way around or just pay the "fine".

Now Cummins did advertise 50 state legal and then it seemed like it slipped to 48 State.

Comment

I may have know someone that may or may not have registered their Suzuki Samurai at a co-workers house in clear creek county which is an emissions exempt county.

Comment

So even with emissions testing in the Denver area the engine should pass emissions with no issue. It is compliant to ‘99 in 49 states. I don’t know of anyone off hand in that area but I would reach out to the Cummins R2.8 team as some of them are in CO. At least from the sales side. I’ll ask a rep I know in that area too.

cheers! And welcome!

Comment

With a vehicle subject to emission testing, you are pretty much out of luck. Colorado law doesn't allow gas to diesel conversions. (stupid, outdated law with little thought applied) Most folks running diesels are emission-exempt classic vehicles. There are some that live outside the front range area and just register their vehicle in a non-emission county. That's a small roll-of-the-dice though. The number of counties requiring emission testing is growing with the population out here. Weld use to be exempt up to a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X