Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI guy here

Hello everyone -

Thinking serious about doing a R2.8 into my '91 200TDI Defender - if you know the 200TDI then you know it doesn't have enough power to pull the skin off pudding!

There are a couple really good threads about the conversions over on this forum - "NAS_ROW Land Rover Defenders" - but it seems like this forum may be geared a little more towards the performance aspect and improvement of the 2.8. I'm definitely the type of person who can never leave well enough alone ;-) so I'm sure I will tweak a few things once I do the install (egr, EFI, etc)

Looking forward to learning a few things here and hopefully I will be able to contribute a few things too.

Max

The power modification aspect of this is curious for sure. It's a smallish 4 cylinder, you would think there would be more people focused on it being an engine perfectly fit for purpose as a lightweight efficient package. It's almost like they have never put years behind the wheel of a 4,700lb vehicle with 85hp.

Comment

Do you plan to keep a Rover Transmission or move to something else?. I know Axis sells full kits now or you can piece it together and DIY it.
      I also converted my D90 200TDI.

Comment

Planning on using a R380, 230 Tcase and Quickdraw adapters. DYI at my work garage.

what did you use for a cooling setup?

what did you go with for transmission? How do you like the 2.8 ?

Comment

Originally posted by D-90 View Post
          Planning on using a R380, 230 Tcase and Quickdraw adapters. DYI at my work garage.

what did you use for a cooling setup?

what did you go with for transmission? How do you like the 2.8 ?
          I had a shop make simple custom mounting brackets for the TD5 radiator/intercooler setup so it would sit behind my stock flat grill and used an off the shelf electric fan. I know there are people making custom cooling kits for the R2.8 into the defender though like AXIS or Doug. The TD5 cooling works great just make sure you shroud around and get the biggest fan that will push the air you need. If you have AC, I also up-sized my pusher fan in case for summer.

My transmission is a AX15 from advance adapters with an AXIS adapter to the R2.8 and a RWENG adapter to the LT230. I did also convert to a cable Lt230 shifter so i could move it where i wanted. Also swapped LT230 to 1.2 ratio more suited for the AX15. Want to swap to 1.003 eventually instead.

Its been great so far, more than enough torque to get me up to 100mph before backing off. Definitely great if you take this off-road too. Haven't been stuck anywhere and more than enough fun blasting through the snow and mud. Would definitely recommend the conversion to anyone thinking the same. Nothing cooler than a diesel in a truck like this and the look when I tell people its got a Cummins.

Comment

Thx. Hopefully my swap goes as smooth. The 2.8 seems to be working out well for you, Any thoughts on deleting the egr or adding a tune like EFI?

Comment

Originally posted by D-90 View Post
              Thx. Hopefully my swap goes as smooth. The 2.8 seems to be working out well for you, Any thoughts on deleting the egr or adding a tune like EFI?
              One hundred percent yes I will be removing it after the warranty period is over. Im sure not a lot of people will advertise the ability to do it but there are a few if you just ask. Look up Delete King on facebook. I am debating on making blanking plates when I do it versus using the non egr parts if i have to enable and install it again to take the truck out of country and bring it back due to my job.

Spoke to one shop who had it tuned to around 500Ft/lbs 200HP if I recall who said they saw no problems daily driving it. If it will actually last a long time with that kind of power is a whole other story. Just have to wait and see. Hopefully stronger parts and turbos show up eventually.

Wish more shops would post on forums about their builds or what they are doing but I can understand keeping proprietary parts hidden or not implicate themselves removing emissions.

The Heritage Driven guys on this forum have been very informative though.

Comment

Same thoughts here, may run for a few months to shake it down then decide to tune. Follow Delete King but haven't seen much on the 2.8.

Agreed most shops seem to be keeping their builds close to the chest. Not sure why on the builds but understand on the delete stuff. Maybe as it becomes more popular more info will be shared.

What is the screen name for Heritage Driven?

Comment

I'm about 6 months away from my delete and tune. Unfortunately my setup really can't handle more power/torque, but I would love to ensure reliability and efficiency with the tune. I guess I don't have to use the power if it's there, but I would think MPG could easily be boosted without hurting the engine. Personally I'm gonna remove the EGR completely as I think it would look so much nicer under the hood and make routing better. The DOC will at the very least be relocated and I have acquired the manifold/part for the relocation, because to keep it requires my exhaust to look like a P trap, so I haven't even added any exhaust yet. I figure I'll install the exhaust when I do the delete.

Part of me wants to replace the thermostat housing with the non egr version so I don't need to cap anything off, but I'll probably just cap it for the meantime.

Comment

Why would you keep/relocate the DOC?

Comment

• DieselJeep
                      DieselJeep commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do not plan on keeping it, but I do think on my type of application, one should at least relocate it for a nice clean exhaust.
                  Working...
                  X