1972 fj40 r2.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 fj40 r2.8

So my current plan is to take my 4bt FJ40 that i semi finished in 2013 and swap in a R2.8. I say semi finished because i had know sooner finished the 4 bt that i dissembled the cruiser to do a bodyoff restomod. Fast foward a several years and 3 builds including a jeep R2.8 swap later and im ready to dive back into the crusier currently im evaluating what automatic trans to use. Im leaning towards a 6L80e and one of chads bellhousings plan for release next year. I had a 700r4 behind the 4bt so length will be ok but not sure about its diameter in the tunnel. Any thoughts ?
    Last edited by Bigwalker; 11-12-2018, 01:05 AM.

Looks good. Sounds like a good fit. The trans size should not be an issue at all, I don’t think the 6l80 is any bigger than the 700r4. Only question will be adapting it to the t case? I have done the 4l60 to the FJ t case but not a 6 speed.

Comment

That looks great. Wish I could help with the dimensions. The 6L80E is certainly used a lot for these. In ways I wish I would have gone that route in my Jeep, but I like the manual and don't want the NV4500 in a Jeep and the NV3550 doesn't seem that much different than the AX-15.

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
        Looks good. Sounds like a good fit. The trans size should not be an issue at all, I don’t think the 6l80 is any bigger than the 700r4. Only question will be adapting it to the t case? I have done the 4l60 to the FJ t case but not a 6 speed.
        I had a lengthy conversation with AA they have 6L80e adapters for most toyota T cases. They believe the late model split case is a beter choice then the earlier tcases. Looks like i need to find a good split case.

i would like to hear opinion from people that have driven the R2.8 / 6L80e combo and how the double overdrive worked

Comment

Working...
        X