R2.8 Nissan Frontier build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2.8 Nissan Frontier build

I found an article (linked below) that has a 2010 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 with an R2.8 swapped in and it was put together by Cummins. Can you (Cummins guys/gals) give more details on this build? I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 with 6 speed manual transmission that I want to do the swap on and would like more info before I dive in! Such as transmission adapter, engine mounting, etc... Hell, send me all of your notes if possible!

Link to article with build: http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...-with-cummins/

Thanks in advance,
    -Marc

That looks like a tight fit.

Somewhere on here there's a post with a bunch of the transmission options around. One of the members has a website with lot of gearing options so you can compare setups via graphs. If you can find your transmission it should give you a good feel of how it'll be on the road.

I'm interested in what all it will take for such a new vehicle. I did a 97 Jeep Wrangler, ie just about the most supported R2.8 swap around. From a kit to boot. It was relatively a piece of cake compared to most of these builds, but it's still not a trivial swap for most people.

If you want AC you may need to get a bit clever on where to place it, judging from the pic in that article. Sometimes these R2.8s are fairly wide and an alternative bracket for the compressor is needed. Just something to think about.

Something I always wonder on these builds and for some reason like the look on the Toyota's overseas where the radiator or CAC is mounted on the top of the engine, maybe with a hood scoop, maybe there's a way to do that. The little stud things on the top can't support that kind of weight but there's likely a bracket you can make and bolt on with some of the other brackets mounted on the top and sides.

Sorry I know nothing about Nissans, but seems like a nice challenge. I do really like the small trucks (coming from someone with a quad cab long bed truck). I think it would be awesome to see this and maybe with a nice flat bed decked out if you're into that stuff.

What is your goal with the swap? Are you planning to do it yourself or have someone do it for you? Can't wait to see the plans.

Comment

the website mentioned above is:

Comment

I am looking to repower my overland build with something encompassing more low end torque and increase my overall travel range. Also, my Frontier is mainly used for work and I am idling the engine for hours on end while stationary and I could really benefit from the Diesel engine for that purpose over the current v6. My work reimburses my mileage at $0.52/mile so it would be a bonus to get 25-30 highway mpg (with the R2.8) over my current 15mpg. Work driving per year is approximately 50,000 miles so it adds up. I know diesel costs more but the math still weighs in favor with the R2.8 (ecspecially when accounting for the long idle times).

dlang- thanks for the calculator, I have already utilized it on the website and the current gearing in my Frontier (with the current Nissan 6-speed) is pretty ideal.

Comment

High mileage is a great reason to go diesel and I'm not sure there's an easier swap for a common rail engine out there. That's not to mean it'll be easy, but depending on some drag factors, gearing, load, you'll get mid-20s mpg pretty easily and more if you don't mind voiding your warranty.

The R2.8 is easily the better choice over a high percentage of all the engines sold in the US, for a bunch of reasons. You put this thing in a Prius, even ditching the battery stuff and your highway mileage will increase and you'll turn a driving appliance to something very responsive. You put one of these in a 1/2 ton and you'll feel like it'll tow better and will get better MPG. It may even be possible that your transmission will last a little longer due to not changing gears as often, but I'm not too familiar with Autos. There's a reason why these types of engines are almost all you will see when people have the freedom to purchase what they want/need and they're moving around smaller vehicles.Unfortunately, you're talking custom work and that's probably the biggest knock IMO for reliability and cost for parts down the road. From Cummins, the parts pricing seems very reasonable.

This is a great project, but just as a warning the upfront cost for the average person seems high. You can go cheaper but will have to do a lot more fabrication and design and months of lost driving time. Personally if I really liked the frontier, I'd get parts together, talk to shops and run your current engine into the ground while measuring and designing. But I'm not great at fabricating either and I typically over analyze everything and still screw stuff up.

Comment

Working...
          X