No announcement yet.

06 rubicon swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw you found an issue when filling up. Did you resolve the sputtering and everything?

Oh completely unrelated, but do you have the newer tune from Cummins ie like the 310 ft lb tune?

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
      I saw you found an issue when filling up. Did you resolve the sputtering and everything?

Oh completely unrelated, but do you have the newer tune from Cummins ie like the 310 ft lb tune?
      Sputtering is gone. It was an air leak. Don’t have my permanent air intake set up. What did you use to run yours? Finding it difficult to route it. Hard to find couplers that go from 2.25” to 3”.

The fuel neck is ongoing. I think I’ll probabaly have to drop the tank out again and drill out the inlet to the tank and put a new fitting on but that’s a big job to do yet.

Im not sure about the tune. I bought it during the “310” sale when they took 310$ off the engine to promote the tune and I think they shipped those out with the tune installed but I’ll have to check. The nearest Cummins dealer is 180 miles from me so I have to work out the kinks before I take that trip regardless. Might end up calling if they ever answer the phone

Comment

I used Axis Industries for basically everything on my swap. I didn't want my Jeep to be down very long so I just bought an entire kit, which isn't cheap. I have the tendency to over analyze everything as well so I knew this build would have taken me years if I didn't just bite the bullet.

Do you have a picture of your basic setup? Maybe someone can make suggestions. Are you opposed to modifying the inner fenders?

I attached a pic to show how mine is routed. On a slightly different note, I'd like to fit 3 batteries under the hood and my winch solenoid and Spod setup on top of all of this stuff. I basically know where I'll put everything, but I need to save up some money.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
          I used Axis Industries for basically everything on my swap. I didn't want my Jeep to be down very long so I just bought an entire kit, which isn't cheap. I have the tendency to over analyze everything as well so I knew this build would have taken me years if I didn't just bite the bullet.

Do you have a picture of your basic setup? Maybe someone can make suggestions. Are you opposed to modifying the inner fenders?

I attached a pic to show how mine is routed. On a slightly different note, I'd like to fit 3 batteries under the hood and my winch solenoid and Spod setup on top of all of this stuff. I basically know where I'll put everything, but I need to save up some money.
          dont judge the setup too bad but this is my current setup. Just wanted to get it good enough to start and move so I could ensure electrical and basics were fine. I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to run my intake and how I’m gonna mount the fan.

Comment

That's looking good. I can't see the sides very well either. Are you able to get something under the oil filter so you don't have a bunch of oil spill when changing the oil? Not a big deal, just wondering and some mention adding some oil to a new filter.

2 things come to mind with your intake routing and I'm trying to remember that space on mine and I had a riser for the CAC stuff right from the turbo about 2 inches. That seemed to give some space for the intake tubing. If you aren't partial to your EGR, maybe you could send it back and vertical for some sort of snorkel or something.

Looking at our piping relative to our alternators, my piping is much higher. That should give you some room.

Comment

And remember some engines run intercoolers on top of engines, especially if you want to justify a hood scoop, though for Jeeps that had an inline 6 you almost need something else there taking up space.

I assume you're going electric fan?

Comment

I figure I’ll be able to run under the turbo and up along the inner fender. Just will take a few bends to get it right. I’m goong to fab up a riser for the turbo eventually but right now my goal is to get it done. Sorry for the pic it was the only one I had at the time.

I made a catch can for the oil filter and the bracket comes off with 2 bolts so that’s not a huge deal.

What did you use to route your intake? Just aluminum and silicone couplings? From the pic that’s what I’m assuming.

Im moving to BC Canada in 2 days. The jeeps being shipped out once it’s done. My old man is gonna give me a hand with finishing up the misc things but I want to have as much as I can tidied up before I leave.

i picked up a 16” fan today and I’m making the shroud for it now. That should be done tonight I imagine but just picking away at things

Comment

Yes I think everything is just aluminum and silicone couplings. I think one of the Si couplings is a reducer as well, probably a 90 if I remember correct. I used to work at a lab when I first got out college and we'd buy weld on clamp adapters that have those type of turbo flanges and stuff and we'd make all kinds of columns and things. It's really easy to do as far as risers go and the weld on clamp stuff is fairly cheap and you may find them at a tractor store or something as well.

It's a process, but you do seem to be making great progress. Once it's running well, maybe after a few months of a break you'll be able to pinpoint some stuff you want to change. I don't think I've owned a vehicle I haven't rerouted stuff or modified to fit my needs a bit better, so it's a life long process. Ultimately on my Jeep I'm probably going to be modifying for several more years to get my axles, suspension, transfer case and everything exactly how I assume I want it now.

As kind of a joke, maybe you could get rid of the air to air charger and make a useful heat exchanger to something like a nice still, so you can load up a nice batch up front and drive around and have a bit of fairly pure ethanol for when you park to enjoy. I figure to get around the ethanol tax maybe just a bit of the fuel tax would be appropriate.

Comment

I used the IC from a 2004 PT Cruiser and cut the inside of the grill so that the IC is inside the grill and the radiator mounts in its original spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorino View Post
                      I used the IC from a 2004 PT Cruiser and cut the inside of the grill so that the IC is inside the grill and the radiator mounts in its original spot.
                      That’s a great little setup and something I considered. Time was short for me so I had to go with whatever works. Once I get things running and working I’ll probabaly end up cutting the tanks off again, reweld more suitable outlets and set it in the grill similar to your setup.

Did you use a 2.4/5L rad and ran setup? Looks like it’s oem. I might be wrong but I think the 2.4’s were stock with electric fan as opposed to the mechanical 4L fan. If that’s the case I may switch

Comment

This was the stock radiator and fan from my 2.4. I also put an in line precooler in front of the IC (you can see it in the pic) to ensure that I was gett ing enough heat rejection, seems to be doing fine so far (500 miles).

Comment

Working...
                        X