TAV FJ40 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAV FJ40 build

Starting a build sheet for the TAV fj40 but I don't have many photos so those will be posted as it goes.

Built by TAV and myself in Albuquerque NM

General
    1981 Toyota FJ40 land cruiser
    full frame off resto mod
    Cummins R2.8
    4l60E Automatic
    1985 Toyota split transfer case
    3.73 axle gears
    285/75R16s
    Method race wheels
    King remote res shocks
    Shacke reversal
    Saganaw steering conversion
    TAV front bumper
    Come up winch
    Kaymar rear bumper with swing outs
    Goose Gear rear drawers
    Front runner rack over the drawers in back
    Mastercraft seats
    ..... the list continues but that's what I can remember off hand

Continued shortly

Comment

Comment

The FJ40 was a full frame off refresh after the RePowerToy was done, so all the things learned on the pickup were refined here. It has been driven over 5k miles from sea level to 8k feet and has towed a small expor trailer for most of this.

The major change with the FJ40 is the fact that it runs a 4l60e automatic with a PCS controller.

Here is a more detailed part list.
        Cummins R2.8 of course
        Reman 4l60e 2wd automatic (yes 2wd)
        Axis Industries LS adapter
        Axis Industries motor mounts
        Advance adapters 4L60e to Toyota split case transfer case
        Advance adapters Toyota transfer case mount
        Tom Woods drive shafts, front and rear (super short rear CV)
        PCS transmission controller
        Controller communicates With the Cummins using the J1939 CAN output
        The output for CAN is a small triangle plug near the thermostat housing
        the FJ uses a Dakota Digital dash as well.

Depending on the controller you choose to use you will have to program it to look for the CAN signal, some company's know how, and I happen to. It is not as easy as plugging it in unless you have a kit, which can be provided.

Bolting an engine and transmission together is the easy part, however we went through 3 different stall speeds on the converter before we found a good option.

First was a stock converter for a 4.3 which was a 1240 stall. This was a very very slow take off and was drivable but would not be good unless you had a very very tall axle ratio. Or just like to drive slowly away from lights.

Next was a 2000 rated stall from Hughes performance. This provided a much better drive at sea level but at 7k feet it still did not do the job. The stall speed on converters is rated with a large displacement engine so the smaller R2.8 ends up with a lower than rated stall. The 2000 stall seemed to be stalling out at around 1600 RPM. This was much nicer however still causes the engine to feel sluggish under some throttle positions.

Last, and final at this point, is a 2500 stall converter from Hughes performance again.
        The 2500 stall with the R2.8 is a nice combination for most people. The engine wants to pick up and run the the power band much easier than any other. The down side to a higher stall converter is it does build more heat so a larger cooler should be used. The advantage to most modern electronic controlled transmissions is they have lock up converters. This eliminates the slip of the converter in higher gears. 3rd and 4th in the FJ are lock up gears which cuts down on heat running on the road.

The TAV FJ40 has a Derale remote mount transmission cooler to solve the higher converter heat.

With 285s and the 3.73 gears the FJ runs 75mph at 2000 rpm all day long. If you are planning on towing a trailer a ton with this type of combination you may want to regear the axles to raise the RPM for more power. This is the same with any other vehicle really.

Walt wanted the floor to be open on the center tunnel so a Flamming River column shift tilt column was used.

I will I'll be continuing this thread later but will try to get more photos and videos posted too.

Comment

https://www.tavllc.com/builds/detail...d-cruiser-fj40

https://www.instagram.com/tavllc/

Comment

Comment

Comment

Beautiful build!!

Comment

Stock axle assemblies? This is a question I had, I have been doing a lot of research on powertrain, but are people using the "stock" fj40 axle housing? Air quotes mean I assume internals are being upgraded.

Comment

Negative. Axles are completely stock. No issues at all.
                    My toyota pickup is still running stock 8” Toyota axles other than added lockers. Again no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
                      Negative. Axles are completely stock. No issues at all.
                      My toyota pickup is still running stock 8” Toyota axles other than added lockers. Again no issues.
                      What locker did you go with? ARB seems a little name brand. I understand Yukon's Zip locker is good but you don't pay for ARB's marketing.

I now have 2 sets of axles, one from an "unknown" year (working on sleuthing this, pre-47 though since the HT side windows are one piece) and one from a '79. My VIN will be the '79. I assume there were axle improvements/changes over the years?

Comment

Working...
                      X