Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1969 Bronco Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Now for the moment of truth...
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Perfect!




    The fit on the engine side was so perfect and tight, I had to slide the adapter in very squarely or it could get stuck, but lined up right, it just slid right on.





    I also checked the starter clearance. Just enough.


    Comment


    • #17
      While the guys at work were machining the bellhousing adapter, I was at home working on the crank adapter. I already had to redesign this once after sourcing material proved to be difficult. Now it's a little smaller. The crank adapter proved to be a challenge to manage all the tolerance stackup over all the features of two adapters plus flywheel etc. After giving some thought to the manufacturing approach, I got started.

      Starting out with raw stock...



      ...I faced the part (after dialing it into the lathe), punched the center bore which located the 2nd crank adapter, and turned the counterbore that locates the adapter to the crank. Tolerances for the critical features were all sub-thousandth of an inch. I was aiming for 0.0003 or less deviation from print.




      Turning the hub face for the starter ring




      A-side completed.



      And test fitted
      Last edited by Digger; 03-31-2019, 11:10 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Now things starting getting frustrating. I spent the first 5 hours of the 2nd day trying to get the part dialed back into the lathe. After trying a few different configurations and switching measuring tools, I got it as close as possible. After reading the factory calibration report, I am at the limits of what this lathe can do.




        After finishing the B-side and measuring runout, I moved the part to the mill to punch all the holes.





        More holes




        And counterbores




        What a mess.




        After tapping all the holes, the finished product



        Checking bolt fitment vs the model





        Finally, checking fit on the engine

        Comment


        • #19
          That's some great looking work.

          Comment


          • #20
            I made a little more progress between other projects.


            I had a center disc laser'd out for the starter gear. After truing it up on the lathe, I welded it to the ring gear.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	47026167124_a1391ea0d5_o.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	1677

            Click image for larger version

Name:	40849176023_860d870f49_o.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	1678



            After that, the 2nd crank adapter needed to be turned.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	47815709181_415971cfee_o.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	1679
            Click image for larger version

Name:	47815709091_b2f450ffaf_o.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	1680

            Test fitting with the mating part to ensure exact fitment and verify pilot dimensions.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	33938460418_843008f331_o.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	1681

            Comment


            • #21

              Finished product.




              ...and a final fitup

              Comment


              • #22
                The last post photos aren't showing up for me, but the photos before that are top notch work as always. This is going to be so awesome once you're up and running.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Let's try this again.



                  Finished product:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	40849175283_ffd6ff772a_o.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	1707
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	47815708751_9f2983bb76_o.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	1708



                  And a final fitup:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	33938460178_d039d19897_o.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	1709
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	40849175113_2c40ebb669_o.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1710

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    That's going to be so cool and might I add that it started as an amazing build with the V8, but I do think this will up that a notch.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Looking great!!! I love to see guys making adapters in house! Nice work

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X