No announcement yet.

1969 Bronco Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended the weekend by putting her face back on, hooking up the LED headlamps and turn signals. I found some LED turn lamps that were very low profile, which was needed to fit in front of the CAC.

Comment

I can't wait to see this thing in person. You've done an amazing job with great attention to detail. Can't wait to see it in person one of these days on a Cummins Cruise!

Comment

Looks amazing!!! Awesome work. I wish I had spare time to build my own adapter and PS lines like that

Comment

Originally posted by Sanders View Post
          I can't wait to see this thing in person. You've done an amazing job with great attention to detail. Can't wait to see it in person one of these days on a Cummins Cruise!
          Cummins Cruise? What’s that, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanders View Post
            Looking forward to it, once the world opens back up.

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post

Cummins Cruise? What’s that, lol.
              We're working on a comeback tour

Comment

Wiring the dash side harness was the last step to get the engine running. I pulled the whole thing apart and removed some redundant wiring that came with the Centech harness, like dual hazard circuits.

I also pulled apart the Cummins harness and shorten it quite a bit.

Then put things back together

I finally received all the t-fittings I needed to complete the cooling system air bleed lines

And made an adapter to connect the reservoir return to the lower radiator hose

Comment

Tonight I finished the last electrical connections, assembled the intake, added fluids, dumped 5 gallons of diesel in the tank and pushed her outside...

I had to crank it quit a bit, even after priming the fuel lines, but the R2.8 popped right off on the 2nd try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHDu5D8P15Y

Comment

GREAT WORK AND CONGRATS!!! That's got to feel good after all that work. Don't forget to warm it up to at least 154 degrees and then do the MAF learn to optimize that low RPM range drivability

More videos please!

Comment

• Wow. Like always, just awesome work and attention to detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders View Post
                        GREAT WORK AND CONGRATS!!! That's got to feel good after all that work. Don't forget to warm it up to at least 154 degrees and then do the MAF learn to optimize that low RPM range drivability

More videos please!

Thanks for the reminder! I'll work on that tomorrow.

I finished buttoning up the dash and re-attaching a few missing parts of the truck. I went for a drive tonight and I'm just impressed by the little R2.8. I think there was some residual air in the fuel system because after sitting overnight, I had to crank it for 8-10 sec before it fired, but the engine is really smooth now. I mated the R2.8 to a ZF-5 transmission, which can be noisy when bolted to a rougher firing diesel engine. Ford used a dual-mass flywheel behind the 7.3 to calm it down a bit and many people play with different oils to quell some of the noise. Behind the R2.8, you hardy notice whether the clutch is in or out. It's smoother than the 351W I had before. (of course 20 extra lbs of flywheel and adapters doesn't hurt) Bottom line, I was concerned about the ZF-5 getting obnoxious, but it was the exact opposite. I'm very pleased.

I hope to get some driving video posted up soon.

Comment

• What battery did you end up with?

I ended up moving to a larger battery to hit the RC from the newer R2.8 manual was a bit hard to find the right battery, but the one available I probably should have passed on, but it's working fine at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
                            What battery did you end up with?

I ended up moving to a larger battery to hit the RC from the newer R2.8 manual was a bit hard to find the right battery, but the one available I probably should have passed on, but it's working fine at the moment.
                            A Group 34/78 red top Optima. I was thinking about your post, but I couldn't find a larger spiral AGM battery. My truck had dual batteries prior and when I find a new home for the 2nd one, it will have 2 batteries again.

Comment

• I drove the Bronco to work on Friday. Nothing eventful, but fuel consumption is noticeably lower than the 351. Based on the 1/4 tank I've burned so far, I'm getting roughly twice the range, putting me in the mid-20s for mileage around town. I'll need to burn a few tanks to get a solid number, but it's encouraging so far.

Here is a video from one of my test drives.

Comment

• That is so good to see and I bet feels pretty damn awesome! Great work on this! In the larger bore Cummins world, we say not to even calculate FE until 40-50k miles on the engine for what it's worth.

You're the first I know of with that transmission so it's good to hear your feedback about that.

Keep the updates coming!

Comment

Working...
                                X