97 Jeep TJ Repower R2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Jeep TJ Repower R2.8

I have done quite a few engine swaps in the past and each time I learn something new. I really like to plan the whole process and then get it done! I just had a thought that might make this swap easier, pull the body off the frame! I have a two post lift, and I can see a lot of benefits to pulling the body off of the frame. First, it will be easy to access my genright fuel tank to modify the pickup and return lines. Second, I can cut out the factory catalytic converter without having to drop the belly pan (heavy plate steel). Pulling the engine will be easy and welding in the motor mounts will be easier too. I shouldn't have to remove the fenders that I replaced over a year ago with new ones. Hmmm, I think I talked myself into this route! I can also pressure wash everything from above and fully inspect the frame.Is there anything I am overlooking?

New engine arrived today and guess what, it came with a spin on oil filter!

Comment

Parts orders are piling up! Got an intercooler and charge pipe kit ordered along with a bead roller, an air filter and 3 inch aluminum piping, a centerforce II clutch, an electric fan, some hose and fittings for the power steering, and a Inteltronix digital gauge set and some adapters. Now I just need my quickdraw adapter and flywheel and motor mounts and I will be ready to tear into this project!

Comment

Oh, and one other minor detail, I am still missing the installation kit for the R2.8 and hopefully I see it before May!

Comment

Yeah, the engine we ordered at work came configured the same way. Crazy. Hopefully you see your install kit soon!

Comment

I ordered a couple of extra short oil filters that will keep the bottom of the filter above the bottom of the oil pan and hopefully I have clearance to the front differential pumkin.

Comment

My quickdraw adapter kit showed up today. The flywheel isn't redrilled for the Jeep clutch. Does anyone know if they normally come drilled for the Jeep clutch? On their website it says that it can be used with the Sach clutch kit which cross references with the stock Jeep clutch. I have a Centerforce II clutch to install. The new flywheel has the pilot bearing installed, but that is it. I have sent Chad a message at quick draw to see if this was an oversight. Still no word on the installation kit from cummins, but my installation manual showed up.

Comment

I got a hold of quickdraw and they are sending me another flywheel with holes for the clutch. My motor mounts from them are backordered, so I ordered motor mounts from axis industries and will hopefully have them soon. Getting closer to getting this project started. Now if I could just get some info from cummins on my installation kit, life would be good. I don't want to take apart a functioning Jeep and then be waiting on parts.

Comment

Still no word from Cummins on my install kit, but I think I am going to get started soon. I am only short the install kit, so I am trying to use up the gas in the tank, and that shouldn’t take too long

Comment

Let the build begin, I am tired of the 4.0 dying multiple times during a drive, probably a bad ecm, but I am over it and not willing to spend any more time figuring it out. Battery is out and Jeep is on the lift. I didn't have any luck pumping gas out of the fuel tank, my spare electric pump didn't want to prime, and I couldn't get a bigger hose into the tank through the filler neck, I will suck the gas out when I disconnect the filler neck. to drop the tank for mods. I have my quickdraw bell housing, centerforce II clutch is installed onto the quickdraw modified flywheel, Axis motor mounts are in hand and ready to find their way on my frame. Engine is sitting on the slab in front of the lift and the Jeep. I am hoping that I don't have to move the transmission forward to make the engine fit. My drivetrain is already modified and done, and my drivelines have enough slack that I could move everything forward if needed, I just would rather not have to. I will start removing the front sheet metal and get ready to pull the engine. Send good thoughts please that cummins will get and ship my install kit soon!

Comment

The 4.0 is out and on the engine stand ready to go to a new home. I bit the bullet and cut the wiring harness that went under the tub that was tied into the PCM. I hope I don't need any of it since I will be using a digital gauge set up. Bellhousing is off of the AX15 ready for the quickdraw bellhousing to be bolted up, maybe tomorrow after work. I got an email from Brittany at Cummins and she said I should see my install kit by mid July. So I guess I can take my time and do a clean install. Time to cut off motor mounts and start trial fitting the engine in the next couple of days. I want to get my intercooler pipes fitted up while I still have access to a tig welder at work. I retire in two weeks!

Comment

Sounds like good progress. I wish I'd slowed down a little bit in the early stages of my build, but I was really excited. I really want to do another build so I can truly rebuild and restore everything on my own schedule. Of course I might still end up pulling my current Jeep apart and maybe doing a stretch and transmission swap. Only issue is that everything is pretty hectic right now and I really can't start any other projects for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
                          Sounds like good progress. I wish I'd slowed down a little bit in the early stages of my build, but I was really excited. I really want to do another build so I can truly rebuild and restore everything on my own schedule. Of course I might still end up pulling my current Jeep apart and maybe doing a stretch and transmission swap. Only issue is that everything is pretty hectic right now and I really can't start any other projects for some time.
                          Do you happen to know what the ohm rating is for the stock jeep tj fuel sending unit? I just pulled my tank tonight and I might try to machine my own version of the Axis fuel regulator delete, I just ordered some 2 inch aluminum bar stock. I am trying to decide whether to keep the stock sending unit or buy an aftermarket one while the tank is out.

Comment

I have tested this somewhere when I pulled my sending unit. I'm not sure where I wrote everything down, but I think if the tank is out you can just measure the resistance at different levels. I use a stock GM (I think) setting currently for my Dakota, but it's not exactly correct, but it's close enough for my needs, considering the increased range.

Comment

Thanks, I am going to pull the sending unit tonight and test it.

Comment

Working...
                              X