No announcement yet.

97 Jeep TJ Repower R2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The jeep sending unit is an odd duck. It runs from 20-270 ohms which is close to a stewart warner gauge that is 33-240. I decided to go with an aftermarket sending unit that will be a 0-90 and will easily match my gauges. I ordered some billet aluminum to make a custom plate to go where the stock fuel sender was. I will start posting some pictures soon. Tomorrow I hope to cut off the motor mounts and trial fit the engine.

Comment

Motor mounts are off and so far several test fits of the engines in the chassis. I have some clearance issues with the firewall by using the quickdraw adapter. I have now unbolted the transfer case mount to try and move transmission and transfercase forward. I might have to shorten my front driveline to get the space I need move everything forward. The motor mounts I purchased are from AXIS industries and they are designed to work with their adapter that has the engine sitting several inches forward, so this might work better. The egr cooler hits the firewall on the passenger side and I had to remove some of the pinchweld by the starter on the driverside, but now I think it will be worth the time to move everything forward.

Comment

Engine is in! I had to move the transmission/double/transfercase forward two inches to make everything work. Everything looks good, AXIS motor mounts are welded and transfercase mount is secured. The rear driveshaft is 2 inches too short and then I had a thought, the front driveshaft yoke is about two inches longer than the rear driveshaft yoke, both driveshafts are custome Tom Woods pieces. I put the longer front yoke on the rear driveshaft and PERFECT! . Front shaft needs 2 inches cut off of the splines that are a long spline design, so plenty to remove. My next goal is is to machine a custom top for my fuel tank to hold the sending unit and attach the fuel pick up tube.Then figure out the best way to mount the intercooler and plumb some lines.
        Last edited by nuffsaid; 06-02-2022, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Comment

Top for the fuel tank is machined, all that is left is to drill and tap 5 holes for the sending unit and drill and tap for the fuel pickup tube. Pictures tomorrow hopefully.

Comment

Comment

Fuel tank mods are done. I epoxied the fuel pickup tube so it can’t vibrate off and leave me stranded. The pickup is 3/8 aluminum tubing attached with a compression fitting.
                Front driveline is modified and back in the Jeep. Next order of business will probably plumbing and mounting intercooler and radiator and running power steering hoses.
                Last edited by nuffsaid; 06-04-2022, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Made a little progress today, ran one power steering line, adjusted the linkage on the Atlas II transfer case. Does anyone know how if the oem fuel vents will work ok for returning the fuel to the tank?

Comment

Comment

Cooling system is mostly done. Driver’s side fender fits, tomorrow I will check fit of passenger side fender. I might have to take a break on the build since my first grandchild is due anytime and I still don’t have my installation kit from Cummins

Comment

I had to take a little break from the engine install as my daughter was giving birth to my first grandson! I got my fuel tank back in, and started taking apart the main wiring harness to remove unneeded wires. Yesterday the fed ex truck showed up and Cummins overnighted my installation kit! Time for the wiring to start, I hope to make good progress today.

Comment

Working...
                        X