First Defender build on the road....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Defender build on the road....

We've just completed our first road test on the Defender conversion. Drove beautifully. Mated to the R380 manual box with our own adaptor plate using all genuine off the shelf Land Rover parts for ease of future service. Interior is untouched and stock suspension and drive train makes a simple conversion. It's tight but no expensive adaptors and flywheels. Two more to do in the next few months. Exciting... Buckets of torque compared to the original engine.

Looks outstanding!
    more pictures please

What steering box and radiator?

Comment

Really nice build, I'm interested in what you did for your change air cooler. Any surprises you ran across?

Comment

You beat me to it!! I am looking to do a 87' 110 next winter.
        How was the alignment with the R380 for the shifter, and transfer case, any modification to the linkage needed?
        Any other considerations i should keep in mind?
        Don't happen to have drawings, or a kit available for the motor mounts?

Comment

I was all excited to find this r2.8, researched for my Disco 1 ... found out its made in China , Cummins only gives it a 90 day warranty. Any one else look into this ?

Comment

Originally posted by DisposableRover View Post
            I was all excited to find this r2.8, researched for my Disco 1 ... found out its made in China , Cummins only gives it a 90 day warranty. Any one else look into this ?
            Yes it is made in China, however being I have already torn one into one. I can report it is manufactured to Cummins standards. It is built in a Cummins owned and operated factory that Cummins built in China. The reason being the market for this engine is far greater overseas than it is domestically. It is no different than ford making engines in Mexico or apple making phones in China.

I know now this will put some people off but I am most likely the only person outside of Cummins that had all the covers off and inspected the engine. Or I mostly likely was when I did it.

90 day warrantee is due to the “unknowns” with a product installed by a shop or individual. I do know they are working with authorized shops for a longer warrantee if it is installed by them. Not sure when that program will be live however. Honest opinion, don’t worry about the warrantee, it is a properly manufactured engine by a fortune 150 company, they wouldn’t sell it without confidence.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by LandyMan View Post
              We've just completed our first road test on the Defender conversion. Drove beautifully. Mated to the R380 manual box with our own adaptor plate using all genuine off the shelf Land Rover parts for ease of future service. Interior is untouched and stock suspension and drive train makes a simple conversion. It's tight but no expensive adaptors and flywheels. Two more to do in the next few months. Exciting... Buckets of torque compared to the original engine.
              LandyMan, I'm happy to see the defender manual conversion has been done successfully. I am wanting to do this conversion to my defender 90. Do you perhaps make R380 adapter plates to order? Could you provide a list of parts needed to mate the R380 to the Cummins.

Thanks
              Cheers

Comment

I know Axis makes an r380 adapter. Or they have made one.

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
                  I know Axis makes an r380 adapter. Or they have made one.
                  The Axis adapter is quite expensive, then still having to pay shipping costs, import duties and taxes to South Africa puts this adapter at approximately 3500 USD that's half the cost of the engine. Definitely not worth it for me, thus looking for cheaper alternative. Also looking at options to having an adapter fabricated locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Forest View Post

The Axis adapter is quite expensive, then still having to pay shipping costs, import duties and taxes to South Africa puts this adapter at approximately 3500 USD that's half the cost of the engine. Definitely not worth it for me, thus looking for cheaper alternative. Also looking at options to having an adapter fabricated locally.
                    That makes total sense. I missed your location. Let me think.

Comment

I have a 1988 110 and I am considering the R2.8

Comment

Working...
                      X