No announcement yet.

1997 Jeep Wrangler R2.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see photos. I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do for indicators. What type of electrical bugs are you having?

Comment

https://www.enovationcontrols.com/up...00-02-0839.pdf

Comment

at the bottom of that pdf is the exact demsions of the gauge that comes with your cummins

Comment

my electrical problems include my backup lights in my tail lights not working, and every time i open a door on my jeep the back passenger tail light blinks 1 time.

Comment

Comment

They look good lit up at night

Comment

Those do look good. I already have tail light problems before I started, so not much new for me. My turn signals have been busted so many times. Our woods are tight and seemingly always overgrown. When I get my TJ buttoned up mechanically for driving I'm just going to replace my wires going back to my tail lights and maybe front turn signals and headlights. My 97 TJ is fairly simple electrically from what I can tell. The funny thing and I'm not sure if you can tell in the photos, but I've got a Willy's CJ too and electrical problems have kept it from being reliable, but I haven't had a chance to completely rewire the Willy's. It seems like that kind of stuff wouldn't have any electrical problems, but at that age all the lines are dry rotted and since everything is metal and the lines ground out and over the years turn signals and conversions have added more wiring and very little of it was fused.

Comment

Btw what transmission, gear ratio, tire size, mileage are you running? Have you done any towing yet? Does your stock tach work or did you go aftermarket?

Comment

I mated it with a Nag1 transmission (witch is rated for 500hp and 550ft/lbs of torque) I’m running stock 3.73 gears, and all my factory gauges work with the engine rpm, tach, and coolant temp. I’m currently having a little trouble with my gas gauge working. But as for gas mileage I’m getting like 18-20 mpg but my motor isn’t even broken in good yet.

I havent done any towing yet, and I need to download the new engine calibration that Cummins just released.

Comment

I've gotten a little bit done, but I haven't been able to do much for 2 weeks. I just put the fenders and grill on mainly for mock up and trying to get an idea on routing and how all the radiator/CAC/Fan goes in. My pedal position is set and it seems to clear the bracket for the oil filter, fuel filter, and grid heater mount pretty well, but I may need to slightly notch the throttle pedal bracket, but I think it's fine.

I need to finish fitting the CAC/radiator and grill and get that installed. I also need to find some good grounds on the block and ground to the tub and frame. Any advice is certainly appreciated if there's some good, no to very little mod areas to ground to. Some fuel lines and stuff should be in today so hopefully I'll get the new tank back in very soon and it might be close to a quick startup. I want to get the tank in before I mess with the exhaust either, just to make sure there's still clearance for it. I've been looking at the Jeep wiring harness stuff and it's more of a mess than I realized so back to work on another weakness of wiring and routing for me. But it should start without all that perfect and then I can focus on gauges and cleanliness.

I've been staring at the EGR lately and I'd really like that monstrosity gone. The firewall to the EGR is pretty close, which is a bit of a concern. I have trouble routing around it as well, but it's staying for at least a bit, but I may have to add some clearance to my firewall.

Any way, I can't wait to be able to get back to working on this full throttle. It's killing me to not spend every second of the day working on it, but I've got a lot of stuff at work and right now we have work to do on the farm. Maybe in about 2 weeks I'll have the farm stuff finished and won't have to go into work on the weekends any and I can focus on this project.

Comment

Looking good!
                        just have to say from the one I have removed the EGR from it looks soooo much cleaner without it. That said this will void your warrantee!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Diesel Jeep View Post
                          I mated it with a Nag1 transmission (witch is rated for 500hp and 550ft/lbs of torque) I’m running stock 3.73 gears, and all my factory gauges work with the engine rpm, tach, and coolant temp. I’m currently having a little trouble with my gas gauge working. But as for gas mileage I’m getting like 18-20 mpg but my motor isn’t even broken in good yet.

I havent done any towing yet, and I need to download the new engine calibration that Cummins just released.
                          Feel free to start a thread with some photos, I know we would like to see some photos of the Jeep and install!

Comment

Yeah the warranty certainly keeps this on there and all the other work I need to finish first. Have you ever seen the QSF version of one of these engines? I was wondering if it had EGR, so maybe if you wanted it to really look clean, if you could get that thermostat housing too and I guess technically the intake or whatever on the other side and the exhaust manifold.

Comment

Got my fuel pump delete, where I think I want it, but I didn't take a picture with my phone. I ended up doing a 1" body lift. It seems to make routing a bit easier and less cutting, but not necessary. I was actually mistakenly thinking my gas tank was mounted to the tub, which was a big plus for me to do this swap for more gas tank clearance. I was wrong, but I could make some mods to move the tank up, but that's not gonna happen, until maybe it's time for some Dana 35 work/swap.

I have 4x 33 x 10.5 on new 15" rims with 4.5" backspacing on the way. The KM3s and some Corbeau Moab reclining seats in black vinyl. I'm going to make custom brackets ie make mine work somehow and not lose functions.

The bleeder valves are locked up on my rear drums, so going to go ahead and do new brakes in the front and rear.

Got my fluids changed in my trans, diff, axles, and tcase, which was contaminated with water. In another notes of my mistakes. I had in my head my gear ratios were 3.73, but it's 3.07. We'll see how this is on the highway before I change any gearing.

I got some bare LEDs in to make indicators. I'm going to make a little circuit for the lights and mount a box somewhere. For the full wiring, I keep getting more nervous as there appears to be so much stuff to clean up and remove and wiring is an area I struggle.

Comment

I got more goodies in the mail and I had 1 day I could work on my Jeep.

I got the ECU installed. Tank is in place. Fuel lines are routed, but need to be cleaned up a bit. Intake/CAC tubing is still a work in progress, but pretty close. I'm starting to do some wiring. The brakes looked good so I only changed out the wheel cylinders and some springs.

By the way I got the conversion kit from Axis and everything is pretty easy for a build like this for someone with no experience swapping completely different engines. If you see something that looks really good, chances are I didn't make it. I'm still undecided on exhaust.

The more I think about it, the less I want to integrate redundant sensors and wiring into the build, so I'm very open to different gauges. I do want to try and find an app that will decipher the J1939 protocol, which I am supposed to be able to read from my BAFX OBD reader. Reading up on the protocol, I'm kind of disappointed in Cummins for using this protocol. I'm just starting to read up on it, but seems like there's a bunch of options without that choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X