No announcement yet.

1997 Jeep Wrangler R2.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well j1939 is what all industrial engines use, so it’s easy. Most diesel RVs, semis, etc use j1939.

looks great either way!!

Comment

Well it runs. Had an issue with some wiring on my part first and 2 wires I received were labelled wrong. Long story short the wiring harness I received had the starter and grid heater wire with the fusible link labelled backwards, so after a half second of starting the starter refused to engage and it took me a few hrs to come back around to testing the voltage again at the starter.

I was able to stretch the Cummins fusible wire from my battery terminal to the grid heater solenoid. Anyway I am very impressed by this engine. It is much quieter and less vibration than the 4.0 I just pulled out. I have no exhaust on there besides the DOC. It stinks less too. I think straight pipe shouldn't be an issue, but adding a muffler later is fairly trivial anyway. I can't wait to drive this thing. I'm getting giddy.

It really starts easily. I did prime the pump over 2 hundred times though and by the time I finished I couldn't get the pump handle screwed back in. I had to get a buddy over to help with figuring out the starter wiring and he had to do it for me.

Now that I verified operation, I'm going to really get heavy into the wiring and cleaning up loose ends and making brackets for new seats. I suspect I've got another 40+ hrs left before it's more or less ready and I'm sure there's going to be snags and continuous improvements.

Wednesday I'm going to grab a block heater from Cummins and hopefully I can figure out how to install it, due to space constraints. They sent me the diagram, so hopefully I won't screw it up.

Comment

I made a new harness that runs to the fuel level sensor, VSS, backup lights 4x4 indicator, etc. Once I hooked that up I have brake lights that work as well as they did before, which is that one still doesn't work at all, so I'll be pulling it apart.

The big stuff I'm missing are regular gauges but my Dakota Digital VFD 3 arrived with a couple modules. These will wait and I'll just use my phone or tablet for speed and everything else I can get from the Murphy gauge. I need to tap into the vacuum hose for the HVAC controls. The coolant overflow isn't here yet either. I'll make something work in the meantime. Routing wires will be a continuous improvement item. I have no exhaust yet noise or smell isn't an issue, but I'll have to straight pipe it sometime when I can get some time. I need to make adapter brackets for the new seats, but that'll wait as well. The cooling system needs bled and I need to wire up the fan. I have 1 more connector for this and it should be fine.

I'm going to button up some stuff and go to the farm this weekend and try to do some basic tests and take a break. Hopefully Tuesday I'll head up to Cummins and get the computer updated.

The Jeep will be a bit funny for a bit as a few items are going to be a bit ridiculous, ie I have my old exhaust wire tied to the frame right now and pulled the instrument cluster. I will probably have a Gatorade bottle or a used fire extinguisher as a catch can. I just don't see the point of addressing these items, until I can verify a bit more function on and off road.

Comment

I've been test driving the Jeep. I took it to the farm for a couple of days and took it to Cummins for the update. Wow. I wish the build had been cheaper and I wish I could have a few of them (small 4x4s with good mpg and off-road capability). Basically it drives like a 4x4 vehicle should drive, except it needs better brakes and I've got lots of rattles from old worn out parts. I don't have gauges, exhaust or my new seats installed yet, but it seems to be a dream to drive now on the highway and before it was a fist fight trying to maintain any speed above like 45 mph.

I like the new tune a lot. Before the tune it reminded me a bit of a race car or something. I have no experience with small diesels, but it was like I had some dead spots unless I was on the throttle hard. I'm really liking the 3.07s, but I may change just to have options for lockers and be able to run 5th gear a bit easier on some of the backroads.

Anyway a lot more to do to have it all finished, but I can use it for the time being this way without much issue.

Comment

Well I have added in Dakota gauges except fuel level isn't wired yet. I think I have a small leak or maybe spilled some fuel somehow. I've got the exhaust pretty close, but won't be able to get back to it until sometime next week.

I added a block heater. I've got LED headlights that should be here today, but I was supposed to leave a signature card on my door for them to drop off, but it was raining this morning and I forgot.

My 4Lo is way too fast. I think I'm going to swap out my D35 for a Ford 8.8 that I'm going to buy mildly built from east coast gear and run 3.55s and ARB locker. That still puts me pretty fast in 4Lo. Looking at Atlas transfer case options and the 5:1 looks like my best bet, which should be close to what the newer TJ Rubicons/Willy's/a bit lower than my Dodge 2500 would crawl at. The 4 gear tcases add a bit too much of a price and the ratios don't seem as useful with my gearing, tire size, and driving style. I think I'll have to spend a bit more time in 2nd and 3rd gear though, but it seems like 1st 4Lo through 3rd in Lo would compliment 4Hi pretty well. The axle will occur first and I'll probably start getting serious about this in a year, which may give me time to overthink these options 100 times. And it'll probably be another year or 2 for the Atlas.

The axle really is something that concerns me a bit more than 4Lo at the moment. When this Jeep is fully built and out playing, it'll have a lot more weight and stress in the D35 than it should probably see and I think a half ton axle should be plenty for what I'm trying to do with a sub half ton type vehicle. When I swap the axle I'd like to change the shocks and springs at the same time since at over 260k miles, it's time for a few parts.

So far my only fuel up was after about 220 miles 8.667 gallons. I'm probably going to top off today and now that I've got an odometer I'll try to get some more numbers. I'm going to be pulling a trailer and do in town stuff for some time so I'm sure the mileage will drop quite a bit, but nothing like it was before.

Comment

You might want to consider the NP241OR out of a 2005 / 2006 rubi should be a direct bolt up and not require drive shafts to be shortened and lengthened plus it is a strong XTR case. Novak has a nice write up. You can find them usedfor $800-1000 and a rebuild kit is $250 with new chain then money you save will get you close to the axles. Congratulations on your 2.8 swap

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
                I've been test driving the Jeep. I took it to the farm for a couple of days and took it to Cummins for the update. Wow. I wish the build had been cheaper and I wish I could have a few of them (small 4x4s with good mpg and off-road capability). Basically it drives like a 4x4 vehicle should drive, except it needs better brakes and I've got lots of rattles from old worn out parts. I don't have gauges, exhaust or my new seats installed yet, but it seems to be a dream to drive now on the highway and before it was a fist fight trying to maintain any speed above like 45 mph.

I like the new tune a lot. Before the tune it reminded me a bit of a race car or something. I have no experience with small diesels, but it was like I had some dead spots unless I was on the throttle hard. I'm really liking the 3.07s, but I may change just to have options for lockers and be able to run 5th gear a bit easier on some of the backroads.

Anyway a lot more to do to have it all finished, but I can use it for the time being this way without much issue.
                Looks great!!!! Nice work. How is it running?

Comment

Bigwalker, I like the idea of the 241OR. The Atlas is probably overkill for what I'm going for.

The Jeep is running great. Did some towing over the weekend and for a TJ, all I can say is wow. I certainly had to shift a bit more with the trailer vs empty, but still it was pretty easy. Towing was easier on the highway than the TJ handled the highway previously with 29in tires and stock drivetrain. The trailer isn't super heavy, probably 1,500 lbs including the trailer. I noticed nothing while off-road (power wise) and highway I barely noticed a thing. I typically tow 65 mph or under and I would find myself over 70 in 5th often.

When getting on the highway while towing I noticed the thermostat opened or fan came on, looking at my temp gauges. The temps went to 190F and then dropped back to 178F pretty much continuously on the highway after that.

It was chilly tonight mid 20s F. I plugged in my block heater last night and the coolant temp was over 100F this morning so makes for some nice quick heat, if anyone is interested.

Comment

Thats great. Seems the block heater may be a good option for people. Here in the SW I’m not sure I would put one in but maybe I will.

Comment

It's not necessary where I'm at, but simply a luxury item IMO. For like $40 from the dealer for the heater and cord, it's a small price vs the rest of the build.

Comment

Working...
                      X