No announcement yet.

1997 Jeep Wrangler R2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a couple more videos on the build that are a bit more in-depth. First video is kind of why I went with the R2.8 and the second one shows most of parts I used for the swap.

https://youtu.be/oHSWr68D39Y

https://youtu.be/M9PmpwXXUoY

In general the R2.8 Cummins is only part of the build and there's a bunch of stuff left to do. I did get my Gobi Stealth Rack in recently and installed it for some much needed storage space. I've been messing with different solar charging arrangements as well to supplement the battery backup.

Got a Currie Anti-rock installed on the Jeep as well and that has been pretty noticeable on twisty roads, but I haven't gotten off-road with it much.

I ordered the Morryde tailgate reinforcement kit as well, since the tailgate has had a bit of added weight to it and I'm still not running a full size spare, but even with some lube the hinges are screaming at me.

Hopefully in the next year I'll be changing the gear ratio and beefing up the axles and adding lockers. Then the T-case has got to be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
      Then the T-case has got to be addressed.
      There is really only one solution to transfercase issues:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	atlas_anf32_installed0__73934.1407965642.1280.1280.jpg?c=2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1791

Compared to the cost of the Cummins, this thing is downright cheap. lol

Comment

Absolutely. I've been putting this purchase off for a bit though, trying to get cargo type stuff how I want and I'd like to rebuild my axles and add lockers first. Also when I do the tcase swap I'm going to pick up new custom driveshafts and then I want some new skid plates. Unfortunately that all adds up to essentially another Cummins. Funds are still low after the Cummins and hordes of additional gear I've added in the last 12 months. And I've got a truck with a 5.9 Cummins I'm trying to make a bit more capable as well. Oh and I'm wanting to build an off-road trailer. Oh and I'd love to build 20 other vehicles .

But for me the question is 2 speed vs 4 speed? I'm leaning 2 speed at the moment, but that 4 speed would be pretty sweet. The biggest downside to me for the 4 speed is dealing with so many levers. However I drool at the though of 2.72, 3.8/4.3 and their combination. However 5:1 would likely be just fine for my application when I need 4Lo.

Comment

In a Jeep, I would stick to a 2-speed. Either 4.3 or 5.0 for manual of 3.8 for auto.

I've been running a 6:1 2-speed for 12 years now. (older unit) Its great, 120,000 miles and no issues, inside looks perfect.

Comment

Hi I was wondering if you were successful using the Dakota Digital tach signal converter to retain the factory tach gauge. Did you connect it to the input of the stock PCM? I'm currently at the wiring phase of my 97' XJ build. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rental Jeep Red View Post
              Hi I was wondering if you were successful using the Dakota Digital tach signal converter to retain the factory tach gauge. Did you connect it to the input of the stock PCM? I'm currently at the wiring phase of my 97' XJ build. Thanks!
              I decided to not use the Jeep PCM. I used the DSL-1 from Dakota to adjust my signal for the VFD 3 gauge cluster and I went with GPS speedometer.

Comment

Ah OK thanks. The R2.8 install guide says the tach signal wire from the ECU puts out 12 pulses for every engine rotation which apparently is the same as the jeep 4.0 put out. I'm thinking I can wire the tach signal wire right into the jeep PCM and my stock tach may work just fine. I'm probably missing something major but I guess it's worth trying if no one else knows if that works or not...

Comment

I got the following from a guy using his stock gauges in his TJ:

"For tach signal it’s my understanding that comes from the crankshaft sensor in the bell housing, not the camshaft sensor. So I’m hoping all I need to do is provide 5v to that input signal to the pcm but need clarification from axis. Hopefully it’s something simple and I won’t have to integrate that dang camshaft sensor for the thing to run."

Comment

Also he wrote this:

"Axis returned my call this afternoon. Have some great news! For the camshaft sensor all that needs to happen is connect the tachometer wire from the Cummins wiring harness to the camshaft input signal. That will give the pcm a signal to wake the factory rpm gauge up. I’ll post some pictures of everything but I’m glad this turned out to be a simple solution to get the gauges working."

Comment

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. Glad I left some wire exposed when I snipped everything I thought I wouldn't need (like the crank position sensor signal wire)! I'll take some photos and update you once I've hooked mine up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rental Jeep Red View Post
                        Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. Glad I left some wire exposed when I snipped everything I thought I wouldn't need (like the crank position sensor signal wire)! I'll take some photos and update you once I've hooked mine up as well.
                        Definitely, I don't get tired of seeing most engine swaps and vehicle mods, especially diesel conversions. There's not enough of them and I've been looking for years.

Comment

My R2.8 left me stranded this weekend when doing some off-roading. Well the engine was fine, but the Axis adapter broke and using the starter won't start the Jeep. I could have probably roll started, but I didn't want to do any additional damage.

I had to walk out and meet my wife at the nearest road and went home to get my trailer and truck. You talk about a long day. It wasn't easy getting a trailer in and it wasn't easy getting out either.

When I returned with my truck I brought tools (that top starter bolt is kinda hard to get to) and pulled the starter and the teeth on the adapter plate had broken free so I was just spinning the ring and not everything as intended. I've got the Jeep back in my garage and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next.

I kind of want to pull the transmission and replace it (about 270k miles on this unit I think) with a new transmission with a lower first gear, but since the transmission doesn't appear to have any problems, I might just put it back together with a new plate and rock on.

Comment

Well I'll have a new adapter tomorrow. Now I just gotta figure out if I want to do anything else while the transmission is out, well something within budget.

Comment

Working...
                            X