integrating OEM harness components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• integrating OEM harness components

How is the wiring for the clutch interlock and fuel level and other stock harness features being retained? Are people striping out the old engine wiring from the harness and leaving those other circuits in place?

I'm keeping my PCM for my gauges, but I'm wanting to relocate my PCM so I can make room for a second battery stacked on the OEM battery/location. The clutch interlock on my Jeep was previously bypassed and it's a hurdle I'll look into once everything is running. It looks to me aftermarket gauges may be easier, but I can re-use my stock gauges for less money, but I'll have to make a new wiring harness basically for all the gauges.

I haven't done much wiring in quite awhile and when I did I had help, so I'd love to see some very detailed information on this issue. Personally my plan is to start the Jeep up and see what works and doesn't work and then carefully label and remove the unnecessary wiring and sensors. I still don't know exactly how I'll get the gauges to work. I think I just need to "excite" one of the ignition sensors. I've heard it doesn't matter what it sees, just needs to see something and the tach wire output from Cummins seems like it would work, but maybe I'll have to get something from Dakota Digital to convert the number of pulses. Once it works, I'll start relocating everything sensor by sensor to the new location, probably behind the dash. My old wiring is in bad shape, so new wires and loom are probably a good thing.

I'm just getting ready to start this process and I know it's going to be very time consuming and I'm probably the most nervous about the wiring than any other part of this build. If I can't make this stuff work, I may just get a CJ dash cluster or try some digital way to get all my gauges working cheaply. On top of that I'm going to try and make a box for the indicator lights from the Cummins ECU. They need some resistors so I'm hoping to keep this a bit "cleaner" in the dash.

Comment

Has anyone tried to use an app to monitor the engine gauges?

I've been thinking of using DashCommand or something like that and just temporarily mounting a tablet in my dash, which goes with me on trips anyway to monitor critical functions. GPS could easily give me speed and direction, though not really necessary with a manual transmission and tachometer. I'm getting very close to needing to run my Jeep and not sure I'm going to have the time to integrate the gauges how I like, so I'm hoping the OBD2 reader/connectors with bluetooth will work with the Cummins OBD port. But if anyone has experience, it would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
        Has anyone tried to use an app to monitor the engine gauges?

I've been thinking of using DashCommand or something like that and just temporarily mounting a tablet in my dash, which goes with me on trips anyway to monitor critical functions. GPS could easily give me speed and direction, though not really necessary with a manual transmission and tachometer. I'm getting very close to needing to run my Jeep and not sure I'm going to have the time to integrate the gauges how I like, so I'm hoping the OBD2 reader/connectors with bluetooth will work with the Cummins OBD port. But if anyone has experience, it would be helpful.
        So, I have a dash commander on hand. I’ll plug it in tomorrow and see. I doubt it will work being most of the information is broadcast over j1939 can not obd

Comment

So any idea what you would read from an OBD scan on this engine, codes only?

Comment

It won’t even do that honestly. The old port is very basic for data as it only communicates Can information as far as I know. It is used for tuning, and I think is also for potential future emissions compliance but I can’t say for sure.

Comment

I've been digging deep into this issue. Essentially, the Cummins ECU provides Tach, oil pressure, coolant temp and system voltage. What I want to retain are my vehicle speed sensor and fuel level. My problem is that the newer Jeeps (1997+) transmitted data between the ECU and gauge cluster via a proprietary two-wire signal system (similar to CAN) called the CCD Bus. So the problem is getting all sensor data converted to CAN J1939 and then converting it to CCD and transmitting that data to the stock gauge cluster. I've discovered that the company that makes the Murphy gauge (Enovation) also has J1939 converters for different analogue sensors like fuel level and magnetic vehicle speed. My hope is that I can use these to get all info I want read out onto my dash into J1939 and then create a transciever that converts J1939 into CCD. Should be fun...

Comment

Working...
              X