J1939 to OBDII Converter for Gauges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J1939 to OBDII Converter for Gauges

Would there be any interested in a converter box to take the J1939 signals and broadcast them as ODB Pids so you can use any of these CAN gauges out there. We have done a few builds that I thought to my self that this would be really handy, as non of the gauge manufactures are supporting J1939 gauges. If there is some demand, I can prototype this, my thoughts is it would be in the cost point of around $200-250. Let me know your thoughts.

make it so that I can also talk to it via ethernet or a uart from a microprocessor (bonus points if you make it both 5v and 3.3v compatible) and I'd jump on one.

Comment

I would have been all over this, but now that I've spent a lot of time and money integrating new gauges, I'm kinda stuck. Would this work for just the Cummins R2.8? When I was looking around for gauges I saw several people trying to get stuff for their RV and other various vehicles using the J1939.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
        I would have been all over this, but now that I've spent a lot of time and money integrating new gauges, I'm kinda stuck. Would this work for just the Cummins R2.8? When I was looking around for gauges I saw several people trying to get stuff for their RV and other various vehicles using the J1939.
        Since J1939 and OBDII have defind standards it should work with any J1939 engine. We already are doing this in our JK builds. We have a module that reads the J1939 messages off the R2.8 and broadcast messages back to the Jeep network to drive all the stock gauges. We eliminated the need for the factory jeep ECU our module replaces it. So it would be the same concept, just ODBII instead of Jeep Can messages.

Comment

Sounds interesting. But for some of us, the plans are for all analog gauges. Having something convert J1939 to analog would be interesting in concept. I'm sure it's possible to make something like that work but it would be very cost prohibitive, especially since it's really easy to hook up the oil pressure and coolant temp senders directly. But it would be an interesting science project for someone who could afford to do it on their own dime.

Most likely, my project will involve installation in a fully analog truck and the only thing I'd need the J1939 for is to drive the transmission controller.

Comment

Working...
          X