Murphy fault code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy fault code

Just got my rig started up. Throwing a fault code spn 000729 FMI 03 OC 2. Anyone know what this is?

I got a code for a few seconds the first time I fired it up. I'm trying to search quickserve, but it's being slow. It would be nice to have a basic list of codes in case they pop up while driving so we know to cry or keep going.

Comment

Did it go away? QuickServe isn't working apparently it has been searching for several minutes.

Comment

Didn’t go away. I now have several other ones that are appearing as well. The engine appears to be running fine from observation but I’m not sure

Comment

Looking through their Fault Code guide online SPN 729 is listed when they mention the grid heater. I'm not sure exactly what the other part would mean. I would think, unless there's an issue with the wiring, this should go away. Do you think you started it too quickly?

Comment

Is your fused link in there? Are you running a very long wire or maybe there's some resistance there? I let mine idle a few seconds and after shutting off and turning back on I never had a code come on. I assume all fluids are in there. But maybe there's a loose wire somewhere. Maybe review your grounds.

Comment

Either way congratulations on getting it running. I remember it being a surreal moment for me. My emotions were mixed with nerves, terror, and glee.

Comment

Got it figured out. Had the grid heater mounted but forgot to attach it to the battery. After that I don’t think the code came up again. So far so good. A few little things to clean up electrically but it’s on its way! Thanks dieseljeep. Very excited to drive this thing

Comment

It would be nice to share a few basics on interrpetting fault codes? What do SPN, FMI, and OC stand for?

I got a SPN 000097 FMI 03 OC 002

I assume I've got something on the harness hooked up incoreclty, beucase this only showed up after moving our bulkhead fitting and wiring a fan relay.

Do all R2.8 owners get acces to the Fault Code Analyer Tool (FCAT) on Quickserve Online? I can't find it when I log in with my ESN. I downloaded the Fault Code Analyzer on my iphone, but is tells me 97 or 000097 is not applicable to my ESN.

Comment

Don! I know you know this by now but for the sake of others who may be reading this later on:

SPN = Suspect Parameter Numbers (What is the component or sensor)
                    FMI = Failure Mode Identifier (What's wrong with it)
                    OC = Occurrence (How many times has it happened)

Your specific fault was due to Water In Fuel (WIF) sensor not being hooked up at your fuel filter:

"Water in Fuel Indicator Sensor Circuit - Voltage Above Normal or Shorted to High Source"

Comment

Thanks. These little clues are vey helpful

Comment

I had this error message too, my installer didn't create the water in fuel circuit so I'm going to do it. I think I have the right connectors ordered from amazon. Need to find some 18ga wire...
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone on this forum know if the connector were sourced with the engine? Probably long gone by now in all the boxes thrown out but I'll ask anyway.

Comment

Welcome!

I dont really understand the question? You need the connector? If you have the wire on the engine you can just cut it off a few inches from the plug and splice in a long piece to the filter. Then just use the connector you cut off to plug into the filter.

cheers

Comment

i got this code on my truck 2 months ago, i googled it and found :
                            Inlet Air Heater Relay Output (cc# 189) Is High When Engine Control Unit Is Not Energizing The Glow Plug Relay (9540)
                            https://spnfmi.com/spn-729-fmi-03

Comment

Did that go away or has it been continuous?

Am I reading it right that it's like the grid heater has power, though it hasn't received a signal to be powered? I wonder if you've got some kind of short in the area or loose wire? I'm no expert. Good luck.

I freaked out this summer with some weird codes and ultimately realized that the main bulkhead plug into the cab of the vehicle wasn't tightened properly. I thought I had twisted it and locked it in, but I just twisted both sides of the plug and vibrations over the years had loosened up the connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X