EFI Live Tuning and R2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI Live Tuning and R2.8

Has anyone tuned their R2.8 with an EFI Live FlashScan HD tuner? They list the CM2220 ECM as being supported.

Sure would be nice to turn off the EGR.

EFI live supports this engine. I do not use it on this engine but I know others have.

Comment

You can actually unplug the EGR if you want to see what it does. Will not hurt the engine but will throw a code.

Comment

I dont want the EGR and I dont want the code either. Anybody can disconnect stuff, that is not really the correct way to do things.
        I seem to recall the first pictures I saw of this engine had no egr system, what happened to that?

Comment

O-course I am assuming that the MAF sensor is primarily used to determine the EGR flow rate and this is what is giving me my problems with stumble at low rpm.

So if I unplug it and it runs fine with the MAF installed we can be fairly sure that the mis calibration of the MAF sensor is the problem?

Comment

I'm interested in this as well, but I'm not too interested in "turning" anything up. I just want reliability and NO EGR. Any idea what unplugging EGR would do for warranty? I assume stuff is logged in the ECU?

And yeah, this engine is based off the ISF 2.8. I don't think most nations are silly enough to run EGR on diesel, but maybe NZ and Australia (I really have no idea). If not for CA and the blind leading the blind, EGR probably wouldn't be used on diesel (I'm still awaiting a study that actually shows a net positive with respect to the ENTIRE life of the engine). Now working in plants, I certainly don't mind all of the bells and whistles on these engines. I don't go huff exhaust, but I tend to smell oil and hydraulic fluid on that stuff more than the exhaust. They're even not terribly loud.

Comment

Cummins makes manifolds that do not have the EGR stuff, does anyone know the part numbers?

Comment

DieselJeep
                You need to find a diesel tuner in your area. Remember that no big shops are going to advertise these types of services since they are not legal. I suggest looking in rural areas where there are lots of diesel truck and tractor owners.

Comment

Originally posted by nframe View Post
                  DieselJeep
                  You need to find a diesel tuner in your area. Remember that no big shops are going to advertise these types of services since they are not legal. I suggest looking in rural areas where there are lots of diesel truck and tractor owners.
                  My local Cummins told me to get rid of it. Not officially obviously, but just from a technical side. The only reason it's there now is because of warranty. I may just unplug it for any longer drives until warranty is gone. I've already talked to companies about this, but I think it's pretty clearly out of warranty with any tuning.

In general I'm curious about EFI live. I'm not really big on tuning vehicles for power (seen WAY too many engines damaged with relatively few miles on them), but I have always heard that the EPA tunes are simply bad all around. I just want a max reliability tune without wasting too much fuel. Of course with EFI live, I guess I could have a tow tune, economy tune, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by nframe View Post
                    Cummins makes manifolds that do not have the EGR stuff, does anyone know the part numbers?
                    I will see if I can find the part numbers I have used.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post

My local Cummins told me to get rid of it. Not officially obviously, but just from a technical side. The only reason it's there now is because of warranty. I may just unplug it for any longer drives until warranty is gone. I've already talked to companies about this, but I think it's pretty clearly out of warranty with any tuning.

In general I'm curious about EFI live. I'm not really big on tuning vehicles for power (seen WAY too many engines damaged with relatively few miles on them), but I have always heard that the EPA tunes are simply bad all around. I just want a max reliability tune without wasting too much fuel. Of course with EFI live, I guess I could have a tow tune, economy tune, etc.
                      Correct with any tuning your warrantee will be void.

Efi live is a type of tuner, say like HP tuners, you will have to find a local company to build tunes most likely. I know some exist but I’m not sure if people are selling them.

Comment

Will unplugging cause loss of warranty?

Comment

Does disabling the EGR do anything to the DOC? Not sure if you've messed with this or not. This is the first diesel I've had with DOC or EGR. Work stuff has all the emissions stuff and it's highly problematic.

Comment

DieselJeep
                            Problematic is an understatment my friend.
                            Rip that stupid DOC off and turn it in at your nearest scrap metal dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
                              Does disabling the EGR do anything to the DOC? Not sure if you've messed with this or not. This is the first diesel I've had with DOC or EGR. Work stuff has all the emissions stuff and it's highly problematic.
                              Doesn’t really hurt the DOC? It’s a catalyst, still get shot like a cat but could be coked depending on how much fuel you dump at it I guess.....

Comment

Working...
                              X