EGR fault code 1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR fault code 1896

My murphy gauge shows a fault code of 02791-13, I put this into the converter on quickserve and it shows 1896 egr fault. I went through the procedure to clear the code by leaving the ignition on for two minutes and then starting the engine and letting it idle for one minute. Nothing changed, the code is still active and lit up. Any suggestions? I also attempted to do the pedal dance to do the offset learn for the MAF and the engine would idle, but would not rev up.

I tried disconnecting the MAF sensor and then the EGR connector and doing so set new codes that were easy to clear. The locking connector on the EGR had glue on it and wouldn't budge, I ended up breaking it off to get the connector loose, that is when I saw the glue on the locking tab. All of this and the 2791-13 code is still there. Looks like a defective EGR, only 313 miles.

Comment

I wonder if this is related to your cooling issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Digger View Post
        I wonder if this is related to your cooling issue?
        I really don't think it is related, but who knows. I can't tell a difference in how the engine runs, but when reading through the quickserve corrections it says that this code can lead to a reduction in power and I don't want that. I am debating removing the egr and seeing if I can verify if it's stuck open. I have also thought about removing the plastic side cover and see if I can move the valve the same way the solenoid would. One of those torx screws is a pain to get to and I need to look through my special tools and see if I have a 1/4 inch drive ratcheting wrench that I could put a 1/4 torx driver in and not drop it and loose it. I ordered the mechanical fan addapter kit from quickdraw and fed ex tried to drop it off today, but it needed a signature and I wasn't home, so hopefully I get it tomorrow. Steve Sanders said the mechanical fan should solve all of my cooling issues and I agree. On my trail day, after the code set, the engine ran pretty cool running the trails, but later in the day on the highway is where it ran pretty hot. I really think the egr should have an accident and get turned off...........

Comment

So after installing my mechanical fan today I removed the side cover on the egr valve. It was kind of a PIA to get to but I managed. Upon removing the cover I found several gears inside that make the egr valve open and close. Then there is a sensor and circuit board on the cover that propably read position of the valve. I tested the valve and everything moved smoothly and didn't bind or stick, so now I think there is an electrical malfunction in the egr. I am going to call cummins and start a warranty process.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Cummins customer service. They told me to go through my local dealer for warranty service. I talked to Cummins Rocky Mountain in Billings, MT, my closest dealer (165miles away) and the service rep told me that I am only the second person to ask for R2.8 warranty. He told me he needed to check on how the warranty worked and would call me back. When he called back he said Cummins allows him to bill for one hour to diagnose the problem, and will pay for parts, but the labor at 154.00 is on the customer. He told me that if I brought it in and they diagnosed the problem as the EGR he could order the parts for me under warranty and I could install myself, but the diagnosis has to be made there. Oh and he is booked for three weeks. Can I hear a tune and delete theme!
            Last edited by nuffsaid; 07-29-2022, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Brittany came through again and saved me a trip to the Cummins shop. I removed the EGR today and sent it into the Cummins distributor and as soon as he gets it he will ship a replacement direct from Cummins to me. Thank you Brittany!

Comment

I got the new EGR from Cummins and installed it. I had the battery disconnected overnight and when I hooked it back up the 2791 code was still active. I got out my Autel scan tool and used Foton, light truck and picked ISF for the engine and I was able to read the codes. On the second try, I was able to clear all of the codes, active and inactive. After I cleared the codes, I started the engine and drove into town about 5 miles. I went into a farm supply store and when I came out, as soon as I started the engine, the code was back. I repeated the code clearing process several more times and each time the result was the same, after clearing the code, it immediately comes back on the next key cycle without even starting the engine.

I logged into quick serve and looked at the wiring diagram and made up some connectors to pin out the wiring harness and check for continuity between the egr plug and the ecm and they were all good. Not sure what to do next, but it doesn't seem like the ecm is controlling the egr properly.
                Last edited by nuffsaid; 08-06-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

That's unfortunate. That fault code indicates the EGR valve failed its self-test. Have you verified the EGR valve seat is clear of obstructions and the valve moves freely?

Comment

Originally posted by Digger View Post
                    That's unfortunate. That fault code indicates the EGR valve failed its self-test. Have you verified the EGR valve seat is clear of obstructions and the valve moves freely?
                    I verified the original egr valve was moving freely and determined that it must have been an electrical communication issue and thus had a new egr sent out and it made zero difference. That is why I pinned out and tested continuity on the five wires that feed the egr and they all had good continuity and the pins on the ecm looked fine. Sanders wants me to send the ecm back to
                    Cummins for a bench reflash, but I am still waiting on an address to ship it to. I am going out of town today for a week, so looks like it will have to wait until I get back next monday.

Comment

Brittany told me that the 2.8 won’t derate torque due to this code, so my urgency to fix it just went away, with the code set, the valve stays closed, win, win
                      Last edited by nuffsaid; 08-12-2022, 03:24 AM.

Comment

That works.

Comment

Working...
                        X