Cruise Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Control

Not sure if this is the best place for this. But electricity is involved.

Has anyone looked into what it would take to adapt a cruise control system to a repower equipped rig? I know that in more modern vehicles a lot of that is integrated in the PCM. I'm guessing that if I have a rig equipped like that I can feed the right data somehow to the computer and it will actuate the mechanical throttle (which will have to be adapted to the throttle pedal if it was tied to a mechanical throttle in, say, a 90's era vehicle).

And then in the old school rigs, it's an analog system that taps in line with the speedometer cable and uses vacuum to actuate the throttle. I bet I could adapt that given I keep the mechanical speedometer.

What about a vehicle that didn't come with cruise to begin with? What kind of aftermarket system would work best?

I have a solution and will tell everyone once testing is done. It’s really not difficult. There are a few aftermarket modules for cruise that just require a bit of wiring.

I have used rostra as well as Dakota digital. I will post wiring diagrams sometime in the next month after some testing.

i know cruise can be enabled Via CAN however, due to the risk of this being done improperly and the liability I bet it will never be active on the engine computer. The only solution will be aftermarket I’m afraid.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing your results.

Comment

Still working on this. Runs and throttle works but have not driven to test.... soon

Comment

More testing today is proving fruitful.... but can’t be sure until after more driving and testing.

Comment

Excelent news.

Comment

Cruise works! I’ll post soon the parts to use. But due to the fact I don’t want to be liable I can’t tell anyone how to make it work.....

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
                Cruise works! I’ll post soon the parts to use. But due to the fact I don’t want to be liable I can’t tell anyone how to make it work.....
                That's awesome news. I bet with a parts list one can figure it out.

Comment

I think I'll be putting in some parts orders with Dakota Digital soon. Do I need to pick up some extras? Can't wait to see the list.

Comment

Talking with Dakota on this, I am looking at a universal dash, the GPS speedometer and an additional GPS thing and then a CRS-3000. Have you tried this setup? I think I'm going to hold off on the cruise a bit personally, but the dash will be getting ordered pretty soon, but I need to test the Jeep a bit more and I'm still missing some parts.

Comment

What’s the reason for GPS Speedo? What transfer case are you running. Dakota makes speed sensors that should work with the stock t case.

Dakota makes good stuff I used their guages in many things. Depending on transmission too you may need to look for some add on items. Not sure the crs3000 will work......

I’ll look at your build again and can maybe tell you what to spend your $$ on

Comment

Also I’m working on the second truck with cruise.... not working just yet but hopefully soon.

Comment

I should add, Dakota digital cruise control is manufactured by another company who makes most of the aftermarket cruise systems. And Dakota buys them from another supplier because the mfg only sells to one distributor. This makes tech support a royal pain in the a**.... so caution.
                          As soon as I have the second one going well I will feel better about telling people.

Comment

Thanks. I can definitely adapt the sensor from my Tcase, but wasn't sure of any disadvantages to the GPS and I like having the compass and adding the temperature probe. I'm holding off for at least a week or 2 before ordering any dash stuff and very soon I won't have any time to work on the build.

If you have any other suggestions though, I'd love to hear them, but I definitely like the idea of being able to add cruise later on if I feel I need it. My Jeep did have cruise before but I didn't know until I pulled the engine, but it couldn't maintain speed on the highway without changing gears often, so it wouldn't have been useful.

Comment

Hey guys, we are actually working on a solution to enable cruise in the factory Cummins ECU. That way there is no other needed electronics involved.
                              All that will be need is a VSS signal and a couple of switch inputs for the request and brake signal. We should be testing it here shortly.

Comment

Working...
                              X