R2.8 Redline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2.8 Redline?

Does anyone know what the actual redline is for the R2.8? The Cummins tech guy told me he "thought" it was 3600 rpm. Of course he didn't acknowledge that there was a torque curve that hit 310lbft either.

I have heard 4200 rpm on other forums. However, watching YouTube videos of Foton Tunland trucks clearly shows a tach with a redline of 4500 rpm.

This is what the foton tech meter reads

but scanner shows that it will hit the limiter at 5k Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_154714.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1496

Comment

Originally posted by wbraun View Post
      This is what the foton tech meter reads

but scanner shows that it will hit the limiter at 5k Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_154714.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1496

That is interesting information, including the computer rev limiter. What year Tunland is that? Here is screen grab that matches the Tunlands I've found on YT
      2016 Tunland 2.8 diesel dash

Comment

the one i have here is a 2017

but also i think the fotons in Australia have couple of different things on them

Comment

4200 governer. Meaning it can actually spin past this but it cuts power so it can’t push much past that point.

Comment

Repower - Big Thank You!

This seems like such a simple question, but it has been hard getting a solid answer. Much appreciated. It was very rare for me to take the old 351W over 4500 rpm, but it would have turned 6000 rpm no problem the way it was built. This makes the R2.8 a little more drivable. I've been working on a spreadsheet mapping the engine rpm vs speed in each gear to gain a picture of the driveability with a wide-ratio transmission like the ZF5.

Comment

I tried shift up to 5000rpm, but this is really much!
              4200-4300 is a reasonable limit.

Comment

5000 is too much for this engine, you are floating valves in stock form. Which is why rocker bridges and rockers get broken.
                4200 is really the max you should spin it.

Comment

Working...
                X