Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrdHntn
    replied
    Check with Chad, the owner of Quickdraw Brand Adapters. He has a mechanical fan hub kit and also gives the part number for sourcing the fan clutch. https://quickdrawbrand.com/product/r...r-cummins-2-8/

Leave a comment:

• 6gun
    replied
    Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
    How are you contacting Cummins? My branch, had no knowledge of the R2.8/program, but they were really excited to help and their pricing was reasonable on everything so far. Unfortunately they do screw up on small items, like emissions stuff. They don't seem to have much info on these engines. Like I'd be a bit worried about getting even a belt from them. There's also some really concerning laws coming from at least CA that have me worried on much longevity of this program, who seems to be very anti everything fun/useful.

I emailed Cummins and all I got back was an email telling me to look on their website, the same website that I was complaining to them about not having anything in stock! Local dealer tries but I'm pretty sure the default answer is "Not Available". Only time will tell if this program survives at Cummins but it's not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling!

I second the engine skid plate, but I haven't bit the bullet yet. I'm still waiting on some other mods on my build ie lift and transfer case, I'd have to really hit a weird rock or something to damage the oil pan. And heck sometimes adventure isn't getting to the same end as everyone else(though it may take time to wax nostalgic). I'm biased and anti aluminum oil pan, just because when I was in college, I had a car with an aluminum pan and I got towed a lot because parking was terrible and the wreckers busted at least a few oil pans. I'm not really pro-plastic oil pan, but I've made my peace with Glock too.

I'm all about some modern polymer, I've spent quite a few hours with "Combat Tupperware" on my hip! I guess I will have to be happy with a decent skid plate but it wasn't what I wanted. If anything happens I will just build a steel pan, trying to avoid that one!

On the fan issue, I've only witnessed my fan run 1 time and that was at idle for a very long time using my winch for more than an hour. However the times I know my fan is kicking on, are the times where I'm isolated and need my engine to not overheat. I don't think the mechanical fan will be that difficult to figure out. As far as the Army buddy asset, maybe convince him to drive the Ford to the border and just back up your trailer, swap the vin and license plate....I've seriously researched this method for a Hilux and I think I could make it work on the US end of things.

What fan are you running if you don't mind me asking?
    If I commit that level of trickery it will be for something WAY cooler than a 2.8L powered F350!

As far as wasting $10k, IMO, for a crate engine, Cummins is the only game in town, but I'm very biased toward diesel for off-roading/highway. For the used market, I'm probably going to pick up a TDI, 4BT, or Kubota for another project, but I suspect I'll have just as much in that engine as the R2.8. My next project is going to be a slow build, rather than the R2.8 build I did, where I needed plug and play. The next build is gonna be my own experiment and I really want parts I can find more easily.

There's a Kubota, SM465 and Warn OD in the corner awaiting it's turn to go into my '61 CJ-5!

Once you're listening to that engine rattle a tiny bit and the turbo whine you won't be regretting your decision (almost 2 years and I still haven't put on ANY exhaust I love the sound). And you'll laugh from your perch at those other trucks stopping frequently at the gas stations. And you'll curse those getting gas at the lone diesel pump when the other gas pumps aren't occupied.

I'll be gaining a good bit of torque and horsepower over my 281K mile 4.0L. If I can hit 20MPG on 39" tires I'll be tickled pink! I'll be adding a 10gal auxiliary tank so 27GAL X 20MPG will be a lot further than my old bladder can make it!
    Hope all that made sense!

Leave a comment:

• DieselJeep
    replied
    How are you contacting Cummins? My branch, had no knowledge of the R2.8/program, but they were really excited to help and their pricing was reasonable on everything so far. Unfortunately they do screw up on small items, like emissions stuff. They don't seem to have much info on these engines. Like I'd be a bit worried about getting even a belt from them. There's also some really concerning laws coming from at least CA that have me worried on much longevity of this program, who seems to be very anti everything fun/useful.

I second the engine skid plate, but I haven't bit the bullet yet. I'm still waiting on some other mods on my build ie lift and transfer case, I'd have to really hit a weird rock or something to damage the oil pan. And heck sometimes adventure isn't getting to the same end as everyone else(though it may take time to wax nostalgic). I'm biased and anti aluminum oil pan, just because when I was in college, I had a car with an aluminum pan and I got towed a lot because parking was terrible and the wreckers busted at least a few oil pans. I'm not really pro-plastic oil pan, but I've made my peace with Glock too.

On the fan issue, I've only witnessed my fan run 1 time and that was at idle for a very long time using my winch for more than an hour. However the times I know my fan is kicking on, are the times where I'm isolated and need my engine to not overheat. I don't think the mechanical fan will be that difficult to figure out. As far as the Army buddy asset, maybe convince him to drive the Ford to the border and just back up your trailer, swap the vin and license plate....I've seriously researched this method for a Hilux and I think I could make it work on the US end of things.

As far as wasting $10k, IMO, for a crate engine, Cummins is the only game in town, but I'm very biased toward diesel for off-roading/highway. For the used market, I'm probably going to pick up a TDI, 4BT, or Kubota for another project, but I suspect I'll have just as much in that engine as the R2.8. My next project is going to be a slow build, rather than the R2.8 build I did, where I needed plug and play. The next build is gonna be my own experiment and I really want parts I can find more easily.

Once you're listening to that engine rattle a tiny bit and the turbo whine you won't be regretting your decision (almost 2 years and I still haven't put on ANY exhaust I love the sound). And you'll laugh from your perch at those other trucks stopping frequently at the gas stations. And you'll curse those getting gas at the lone diesel pump when the other gas pumps aren't occupied.

Leave a comment:

• 6gun
    replied
    Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
    So the aluminum pan is really not desirable due to noise, engine will be much much louder with the aluminum pan. Put a skid plate under it if you are worried.

As for a mechanical fan. The issue is emissions, this engine is emissions certified using electric fans, therefor they cannot offer a mechanical fan. The only way that would work is if someone made a small electric clutch mechanical fan. Which does not exist that I know.
    Thanks for some clear and concise answers as opposed to the silence I got from Cummins! Looks like I can add engine skid plate to my list! I have some ideals about a fan so I'll get on that now that I know there is no factory option! Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• RePowerToy
    replied
    So the aluminum pan is really not desirable due to noise, engine will be much much louder with the aluminum pan. Put a skid plate under it if you are worried.

As for a mechanical fan. The issue is emissions, this engine is emissions certified using electric fans, therefor they cannot offer a mechanical fan. The only way that would work is if someone made a small electric clutch mechanical fan. Which does not exist that I know.

Leave a comment:

• 6gun
    replied
    I will see if I can find an aluminum panda but I must ask why?

I have a mechanical fan solution but you need a fair bit of space between engine and radiator. Uses a Jeep HD clutch and fan.

How much room do you have?
    Aluminum pan is strictly because I'm old and don't trust that plastic pan. I will run it for time being because there is no choice but I don't like it!

I'm not completely sure on spacing as we are still getting the engine placement locked in but right now it's looking like ~5" or so. I just can't understand why Cummins isn't offering a factory mechanical fan solution. I guess the same reason they don't seem to be interested in stocking the parts they advertise.

Leave a comment:

• RePowerToy
    replied
    I will see if I can find an aluminum panda but I must ask why?

I have a mechanical fan solution but you need a fair bit of space between engine and radiator. Uses a Jeep HD clutch and fan.

How much room do you have?

Leave a comment:

• 6gun
    replied
    Sorry to all, I have a 6 month old so I don’t get much free time.

what parts are you looking for? I can likely help you source them, I have a good OEM manager locally and many vendors.

Thanks and yea sorry I haven’t kept up here
    Congrats on the 6 month old! Blink and you'll be sitting at HS graduation!

I'm mainly looking for the Cummins aluminum oil pan and dipstick. I may eventually have to have the AC bracket (still hoping to make what I have work). Last but not least, because I'm old and don't trust electric fans I would LOVE a mechanical fan option! I know there has to be something available. I've even gotten desperate enough to have an Army buddy in Brazil go test drive a new Ford to get pictures of what they have.

Thanks for your reply!

Leave a comment:

• RePowerToy
    replied
    Sorry to all, I have a 6 month old so I don’t get much free time.

what parts are you looking for? I can likely help you source them, I have a good OEM manager locally and many vendors.

Thanks and yea sorry I haven’t kept up here

Leave a comment:

• 6gun
    started a topic Worried about support!

Worried about support!

I'm really beginning to worry and doubt my purchase. It's been almost 6 months since I started planning and purchased my motor. There are parts that are still listed as out of stock that I need and wanted for the final build. My local Cummins dealer did not even have a clue what I was talking about when I asked about parts. This forum is barely hanging on. Where do we turn for support! Have I just wasted 10K?
Working...
X