My 6BT Adventure RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 6BT Adventure RV

​ I just broke my lifelong rule by starting my R 2.8 powered 1949 Willys Jeepster resto-mod project, before I finished the Cummins 6BT/Allison 1000 powered 2004 Freightliner 4X4 off road RV. The drivetrain from a Ford F550 4X4 has been hung underneath the ubiquitous fed ex delivery van completing phase 1 of 3. Getting the steering to work was the big challenge. Body mods including the top, front, and rear racks, as well as suicide doors and a side entry living space door would be included in Phase 2. Lastly interior living space treatments would complete Phase 3. I think I’m looking at another year before this one is ready to hit the off-road.

Can't wait to see some pics.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Concept Rendering r2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1963 Here are a couple more, starting with a conceptional sketch . ​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

Did you put the 6BT in front of the F550 drivetrain? I have a 5.9 in my truck and I absolutely love that thing. If it wasn't so big it would go into all my vehicles.

Comment

The MT-45 Freightliner chassis comes with a 6BT/Allison 1000 drivetrain, but only in 2WD. Mine is a Low-Mileage 2004 with a 14' Utilimaster Step van body; the same platform that Fex Ex uses.

We hung the Ford 550 Axles (D60 front/ Dana Spicer 135 Rear). We also used a NP 261 transfer case which required a different output shaft and tail piece in the Allison 1000. While the A1000 was out of the vehicle, we also did a total High Performance rebuild on the unit.

Comment

Sounds like it'll be a fun rig. I wonder how a bit of 4x4ing will do with the size. My long bed quad cab can be a bear in some areas. Luckily I don't always have to go through tight stuff, but when I do I've got my Jeep TJ, which fits on most well used ATV trails. One day I'd like to pickup a Rokon for the tighter stuff.

Comment

Looks like my pictures did not load

Comment

Are you going to custom make the rack and ladder? Can't wait to see more.

Comment

Working...
                X