Engine Mounts and Isolating Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Mounts and Isolating Vibration

Just finished the 2nd build, FJ62 with 6L80E and so far so good with one exception. This thing vibrates like crazy. I used engine mounts from TORFAB with factory isolators for the FJ62 but it's just buzzing a bit more than expected. Specifically at idle (800 RPMs) once to about 1000 RPMs it's fine but still a bit buzzy. Also at speed, 70 MPH @ 2200 RPMs there is slight vibration which can even be seen in the mirrors. I'm wondering which isolators others are using, AXIS says " little to no noticeable vibration in the chassis" which sounds much better than I have. Thoughts? Experience? Has anyone had the same issue and solved it?

I used axis mounts with the 6l80 and it vibrates similar to what you describe. I have often wondered if the adapter was the cause of the vibration. Let me know if you figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by R2.8Samauri View Post
      I used axis mounts with the 6l80 and it vibrates similar to what you describe. I have often wondered if the adapter was the cause of the vibration. Let me know if you figure it out.
      I'll keep in eye on it, today I think I toasted my transfer case somehow, I'll have to figure that out first. My CJ7 also vibrates like crazy, it may just be a R2.8 thing.

Comment

Being a 4-cylinder, getting the mounts geometry right is key. Transmission mount also plays into the equation. I'm using the Axis engine side isolators on my Disco and our white Disco at work is retaining the stock V8 mounts/geometry. There is a very noticable difference between the two. I don't have any complaints about how mine turned out. I believe the Axis mount is very close to the same focused geometry as an OE application using this parent engine family. That being said, if you look at the Ford F4000 mounts vs the Foton Tunland mounts for example, they are very different and both work.

The calibration does allow for trimming idle speed with Insite tool but if you have to go to 1000 before it smooths out and you have another vibe at speed, you may have a different issue. I haven't heard of vibes off idle.

Comment

I've got the Axis mounts and an OEM style transmission mount for my Jeep. Where I screwed up a little is that I did a body lift with Urethane mounts. I expected more vibrations than before and got them, but it's not too bad, but I shouldn't have gone with the urethane. I just wasn't thinking at the time I ordered and they were cheap. Eventually I'll have to get an OEM rubber isolator when I get another body lift. It's also only something I notice at idle and now I'm used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepCJ7 View Post
            I used engine mounts from TORFAB with factory isolators for the FJ62 ?
            What transmission mount is it using? I just noticed the factory isolators bit too. What do they look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanders View Post
              Being a 4-cylinder, getting the mounts geometry right is key. Transmission mount also plays into the equation. I'm using the Axis engine side isolators on my Disco and our white Disco at work is retaining the stock V8 mounts/geometry. There is a very noticable difference between the two. I don't have any complaints about how mine turned out. I believe the Axis mount is very close to the same focused geometry as an OE application using this parent engine family. That being said, if you look at the Ford F4000 mounts vs the Foton Tunland mounts for example, they are very different and both work.

The calibration does allow for trimming idle speed with Insite tool but if you have to go to 1000 before it smooths out and you have another vibe at speed, you may have a different issue. I haven't heard of vibes off idle.
              I believe I have found the F4000 Engine side mounts and the pics make the rubber mounts look like the Axis ones just at a different angle. Can you tell us if these are available in the American market from the part numbers? Looks like it could greatly simplify some installs . If you would like to know where I am finding these part numbers, please PM me.

5310219 and 5342951

Click image for larger version

Name:	common-rail-cummins-r28-diesel-engine.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	3164 Click image for larger version

Name:	5310219_iso2.png
Views:	43
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	3165 Click image for larger version

Name:	5342951_iso.png
Views:	44
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	3166

Comment

Those F4000 mounts look like a nicer version of what I built for mine. I used Ford 300 I6 isolators since the two engines have a similar config and weight. Not super scientific, more of a hip shot. I know placement has a big effect on effectiveness of the isolators like Sanders said.

Mine runs real nice with no vibration issues at any rpm.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	50895644502_5a01c10909_o.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	3174

Comment

Working...
                X