Transmission options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission options

Going to start a thread for transmissions that I know are being used behind the R2.8 at the moment. Will continue to add them as people start coming up with new stuff.

Im not going to list one off parts that I am not sure are in production or used in one vehicle.

Also being I have been privileged to drive a half dozen different vehicles with the same R2.8 and different transmissions I recommend you use an overdriven transmission. The highway rpm would be much too high with a 1-1 ratio. This can also work with an old school warn overdrive for some vehicles, or a Japanese OD for some other transfer cases.

First is LS style GM autos,
    I know the 4l60e, 4l80e, 6l80e autos all work with the LS adapters
    All of which will require a controller to work maybe no controller for the 6l?
    The T56 5 speed should work as well but have not tried yet
    Jeep adapters work with
    Nv3550, ax15, and Aw4
    AW4 is basic when it comes to shifting and will require an arduino or controller to work properly

Many transmissions will work with an additional bellhousing to make it look like a 4.3 vortec or LS engine.
    The Toyota W series and R series will work by doing this but not sure how long a W will last.....

Bellow is a bit of information as to other potential options.

The Toyota A340 automatic (and possibly A343f) can accept an AW4 jeep bellhousing and Tq converter. This means that you can buy an existing Jeep adapter and install the R2.8. You will still need to control the transmission just like an AW4 but it's easily done. At the moment this is theory until I can get an A340 in the shop to try but being they are all Asin transmissions it should work.

Land Rover transmissions really did not change much....
    The R380, lt77 Zf4hp22 and Zf4hp24 all have the same bellhousing pattern (autos I'm not positive on until tomorrow when I have an auto on the floor to look at)
    I can confirm that the bellhousing pattern on the Zf4hp22 and the R380 are the same.
    The Lt77 really is not strong enough in my opinion to hold up to the R2.8 long term. It comes to personal preference but if I am spending the money on the nice new R2.8 I would not use a stock R380 5 speed depending on the transfer case ratio you have. If you have a stock LT230 transfer case from a defender it will mostlikely be a 1.4-1 high range with a 3.54 axle ratio. Meaning you have an effective 4.98-1 rear end ratio with even a 35" tire it would be turning quite a few rpm on the hwy at 75. Again just my opinion.....
    I will be doing a bit of testing soon hopefully with a R2.8 and a Discovery ZF automatic. Controlling the auto is the only part I am working on right now, but there are controllers that should work without much trouble.

What transmission would you like to see this engine adapted to?

Good assortment so far..!!

Two points though:

1. 6L80 does not need an aftermarket controller. It has the factory unit as part of the valve body, and Cummins can reflash R2.8 to provide the info needed via CAN (have been told this by a BETA tester and Cummins). Same applies to 6L90.
    2. The 6L80/90 do not need to use LS adapter. If you want a simpler set-up to get the convertor right up against a single flywheel / flexplate (and a shorter overall engine / trans package), look at GM part numbers 24236118 and 24255549 - the 2014 version is slightly smaller in diameter than the other (and needs a smaller convertor), but might help with tight spaces. Either will still need an adapter to be made for the R2.8, but you do away with dual flywheels and crank adapter. I was hoping to be the first to do this, but might not be using GM trans now so thought I should share the idea.

Comment

Also, just a thought - if the Tunland trans is just a Toyota copy (which it appears to be in my opinion), couldn't someone (in USA) just import a few Tunland bellhousings and use them to bolt to your existing Toyota trans... Obviously only works if input shaft length is correct. Am happy to provide measurements, etc when I start working on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Another Guy View Post

Two points though:

1. 6L80 does not need an aftermarket controller. It has the factory unit as part of the valve body, and Cummins can reflash R2.8 to provide the info needed via CAN (have been told this by a BETA tester and Cummins). Same applies to 6L90.
        2. The 6L80/90 do not need to use LS adapter. If you want a simpler set-up to get the convertor right up against a single flywheel / flexplate (and a shorter overall engine / trans package), look at GM part numbers 24236118 and 24255549 - the 2014 version is slightly smaller in diameter than the other (and needs a smaller convertor), but might help with tight spaces. Either will still need an adapter to be made for the R2.8, but you do away with dual flywheels and crank adapter. I was hoping to be the first to do this, but might not be using GM trans now so thought I should share the idea.
        Also interesting, I would be curious which beta tester and who at Cummins. The engine does broadcast J1939 Can but fooling the GM computer in the trans is the hard part. Would be interesting, and would also be interested for the wiring as well. I have a harness and 6l at the shop I might have to take a look at.

As for the bellhousings, seems like that is a great option for some people. I would have to get one on hand to see how close they are but I'm sure someone will soon. More options for people the better honestly.

It is not ideal to run the Cummins flywheel and crank adapter to another flywheel. However, I know at least Axis is making their own starter ring so the Cummins flywheel is no longer used. As for the rear flywheel many people have made different weighted flywheels. I know the point is to keep rotating weight down but the setup I have in RePowerToy seems to work very well on and off road. But I know it is not for everyone.
        The best option is to make a bellhousing that mates up to the Cummins, or make a new flywheel housing for the motor. However with so many transmission options its hard to commit that much into a bellhousing. Time will tell which way this market will go.

Comment

Also, just a thought - if the Tunland trans is just a Toyota copy (which it appears to be in my opinion), couldn't someone (in USA) just import a few Tunland bellhousings and use them to bolt to your existing Toyota trans... Obviously only works if input shaft length is correct. Am happy to provide measurements, etc when I start working on mine.
          I was looking at your photos of the transmission you posted. It does look a lot like the Toyota transmissions just not sure what era. What year is your truck? Also do you have any part numbers for a bellhousing? Might be worth grabbing one just to try.

Comment

2014 model, but the Chinese might have copied something earlier when it came to the trans

It seems similar to an R150 trans, but not sure how many different version of those. Have not looked for numbers

Comment

• Mickp
              Mickp commented
              Editing a comment
              Foton run a getrag 5 speed manual or zf auto

1. 6L80 does not need an aftermarket controller.
            Turns out I might be wrong about this as I could have misinterpreted information in emails. Have passed on the necessary info via pm for verification. Am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Comment

Turns out I might be wrong about this as I could have misinterpreted information in emails. Have passed on the necessary info via pm for verification. Am more than happy to be proven wrong.
              As am I, no big deal. I am sure it is possible and will dig into the Cummins software at some point but trying to get too many other things done at the moment.

Comment

Dug into controllers a bit more earlier in the week and it looks like we have quite a few options for automatics with the help of Compushift. They have the harness and software to control many different transmissions and they communicate CANJ1939. This means the Cummins will communicate with no issues or hardships, other than some wiring and programming.

Already in the works is a Land Rover r380 and Zf4 automatic adapter to the Cummins R2.8. This means for those of us like myself that want a factory auto we can run it soon enough.

Comment

Great list and information on this forum, I hope it takes off. As an FJ40 owner, the one trans Ive been drooling over is an H55F which it looks like has been done in a 60 series. If/when I can, that is the way I would like to go
                  We got our hands on a couple of these engines last month, and are knee deep in the first one right now. So far we have dropped an engine into the bay...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanwk628 View Post
                    Great list and information on this forum, I hope it takes off. As an FJ40 owner, the one trans Ive been drooling over is an H55F which it looks like has been done in a 60 series. If/when I can, that is the way I would like to go
                    Welcome to RePower Owners!
                    Yep I have been hearing about a few more Toyota transmissions lately.
                    What are you building? Post a build thread and some pics. I know we all would like to see more of these going in.

Comment

Anyone know what type flywheel housing is on the R2.8? There’s gotta be transmissions that will bolt right up to it, like a ZF5 or 6

Comment

It is an industrial housing. Nothing fits directly that I am aware of. Maybe something from China like Foton but nothing ZF. I may be wrong but that's what I know right now.

Comment

Curious about a match up to a Nissan transmission. Looking seriously at putting the R2.8 in my 07 Xterra

Comment

Some good information here! My crate arrives in 2 days and I will start building my 1986 CJ7. It currently has the T5 transmission mated to the Dana 300. I'm hearing the T5 may not stand up to the R2.8 well so I need a switch. I would love an auto but have heard the TH700r4 is too long, I'm lifted up 4.5" so the concern is drive shaft angle. I also have 4.10 gears and after running the calculator it looks like I'll be running around 2500 RPMs at highway speeds (70MPH). Would like any advice or suggestions! THanks! Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X