Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I recently started looking into a repower of my 2005 e350 quigley 4x4 van that the 6.0l died in. I have 3.55 rear gears and 31" tires with the ford 5r110 transmission. Does anyone have an adapter to make this work? Any thoughts on performance ? Looking for mileage and reliability as we only tow a popup camper and 12 passenger regularly.

    thank you

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Diesel X View Post
      Curious about a match up to a Nissan transmission. Looking seriously at putting the R2.8 in my 07 Xterra
      I would have to research what trans you have to give any input, I’ll try to take a look tho.

      Welcome to RePowerOwners

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jeepCJ7 View Post
        Some good information here! My crate arrives in 2 days and I will start building my 1986 CJ7. It currently has the T5 transmission mated to the Dana 300. I'm hearing the T5 may not stand up to the R2.8 well so I need a switch. I would love an auto but have heard the TH700r4 is too long, I'm lifted up 4.5" so the concern is drive shaft angle. I also have 4.10 gears and after running the calculator it looks like I'll be running around 2500 RPMs at highway speeds (70MPH). Would like any advice or suggestions! THanks! Ken
        GM 4 or 6 speed autos are great options and can be adapted to the 300. The ax15 is a good choice for a 5 speed.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Quigley View Post
          I recently started looking into a repower of my 2005 e350 quigley 4x4 van that the 6.0l died in. I have 3.55 rear gears and 31" tires with the ford 5r110 transmission. Does anyone have an adapter to make this work? Any thoughts on performance ? Looking for mileage and reliability as we only tow a popup camper and 12 passenger regularly.

          thank you
          Welcome,

          At this moment no one is making an adapter to the 5r110 from the r2.8. This said, I am not sure it would provide the performance or mpg due to the weight of your rig. How much does the rig weigh?

          There are other options for a vehicle like that. I know a common swap is a 12 or 24 valve Cummins 6cyl to the ford transmission. I can tell you a company that has options if you would like a bigger engine to replace the 6.0.

          Comment


          • #20
            The stack on style adapters are the first to market since they're the simplest to make. There are a slew of adapters in the works for these engines that will be available in the near future.

            The Toyota R150 and A340 will be available very soon as well as a 2.8 conversion set which turns the timing cover and crankshaft into the same pattern as the new and old B series engines. This makes it simple and affordable to run an NV4500, NV5600, G56 or even a double overdrive 68RFE. The Ford Modular adapters are on the list too which covers the triton V8/V10 transmissions and 6.0/6.4 powerstroke.

            Our testing with the Compushift controllers on Aisin transmissions did not go well. Compushift could not get their controllers to work properly with the Aisins. Surprisingly, we found the open source Megasquirt controllers worked good, but they aren't plug and play. The megasquirt UI is really good compared to compushift. The compushift pendent and software cripples it. Tuning an auto transmission is not a multiple choice thing.



            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by snuggletough View Post
              The stack on style adapters are the first to market since they're the simplest to make. There are a slew of adapters in the works for these engines that will be available in the near future.

              The Toyota R150 and A340 will be available very soon as well as a 2.8 conversion set which turns the timing cover and crankshaft into the same pattern as the new and old B series engines. This makes it simple and affordable to run an NV4500, NV5600, G56 or even a double overdrive 68RFE. The Ford Modular adapters are on the list too which covers the triton V8/V10 transmissions and 6.0/6.4 powerstroke.

              Our testing with the Compushift controllers on Aisin transmissions did not go well. Compushift could not get their controllers to work properly with the Aisins. Surprisingly, we found the open source Megasquirt controllers worked good, but they aren't plug and play. The megasquirt UI is really good compared to compushift. The compushift pendent and software cripples it. Tuning an auto transmission is not a multiple choice thing.


              The adapter news is great! I am interested what are are doing with the rear cover? Post some photos if you can.

              Too bad about compushift but that is why this forum exists, more info the better!

              Also Welcome

              Comment


              • #22
                According to this video from cummins @2:10 the R2.8 mounts directly to a Getrag 5 speed manual. If that is the case would a bell housing like this from AA for a Getrag to NV4500 work? NV4500 is a popular transmission for off road swaps and a common upgrade for Getrags

                http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...dodge-2wd-kit/
                 

                Comment


                • #23
                  Very interesting, makes sense tho.
                  i will have to do some research on this, as well as the A518 auto that would have the same pattern as the getrag.

                  Most likely it is not the 5.9 pattern getrag which is the normal nv4500 swap but worth some research.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    New to the forum, my crate arrives next week.

                    I read this whole thread, but I'm unsure where the discussion on the 6L80E landed.

                    So
                    1) no controller
                    2) have Cummins re- flash for correct outputs for the 6L80's existing module?
                    Or is it it
                    3) buy Compu-shift setup to communicate with the R2.8 factory output bus?

                    As to bellhousing- Advance Adapters ? Or is there another option?

                    Thanks in advance.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Welcome O.O.R!

                      There is another thread for the 6l80e on here as well.
                      6l80e is a great choice, zero gravity performance has a controller and harness that works great. It seems to be the best option at the moment. Axis industries has an LS style adapter, as well as I believe a few others now.

                      I personally use and have used multiple LS adapters as well as the PCS controller from zero gravity, it’s a great combo.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        What about the Jeep 6 speed?

                        Would an NSG370 be a good choice? The extra gear and ratios seem attractive. Are there any downsides to using this transmission?

                        It seems there are a couple different integral bellhousings for this transmission. Which one would be best for a conversion in an older Jeep?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Biodiesel Don View Post
                          What about the Jeep 6 speed?

                          Would an NSG370 be a good choice? The extra gear and ratios seem attractive. Are there any downsides to using this transmission?

                          It seems there are a couple different integral bellhousings for this transmission. Which one would be best for a conversion in an older Jeep?
                          I have one sitting at my shop but had not considered it really because it’s only a .84 top gear. This is ok but isn’t too deep. The RePowerToy has a .85 top gear and it does run a higher rpm than I would like.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            So a NV3550 with 0.78 overdrive might be better?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Biodiesel Don View Post
                              So a NV3550 with 0.78 overdrive might be better?
                              Nv3550 is better or an Ax15.
                              Taller the gears the better.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I have an 01 XJ with the AW4 auto I'd like to put a 2.8 in. I see that the AW4 is mentioned but what all is needed to drive the transmission controller and set the shift points correctly?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X