No announcement yet.

Transmission options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw4 is simple. Can be adapted easily. As for shifting many people go simple and make it a full manual so you have to shift it through each gear. Others use a compushift or similar controller. Which uses CAN inputs and shifts like a normal auto trans.

Comment

Any thoughts on the 2.8 mating to a 1967 International Scout 4 speed? Borg Warner, T18/19 if I remember correctly

Comment

Originally posted by swgilk23 View Post
        Any thoughts on the 2.8 mating to a 1967 International Scout 4 speed? Borg Warner, T18/19 if I remember correctly
        Welcome!!
        I am not sure on the t18 but I will look into it. Can’t be too bad just an adapter like the rest of us.

Comment

So right now, only the adapter kits sold by Axis and Advance are available? Is the weight reduction in that flywheel worth it?
          Last edited by Victorino; 05-23-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Weight reduction is worth it because it’s rotational. There is a limit but usually lighter is better.

Comment

Just want to throw this out there, we are offering custom aluminum cast bellhousings for the AX-15 / NV3550 and the NV 4500. Our kits are currently the strongest and lowest cost option to mate these transmissions to the R2.8 on the market right now. Check them out here : Farmstronginc.com

Let us know if you have any questions!

We are also looking for suggestions for our next adapter kits. We are thinking AW4 will be a popular option for Jeeps for guys who want to stay auto.

Comment

Welcome and glad to see you guys here.
                I would say..... Toyota transmissions there are a few that would be awesome to have bellhousings for. And I’m bias but GM transmissions as well, however not as easy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmStrongInc View Post
                  Just want to throw this out there, we are offering custom aluminum cast bellhousings for the AX-15 / NV3550 and the NV 4500. Our kits are currently the strongest and lowest cost option to mate these transmissions to the R2.8 on the market right now. Check them out here : Farmstronginc.com

Let us know if you have any questions!

We are also looking for suggestions for our next adapter kits. We are thinking AW4 will be a popular option for Jeeps for guys who want to stay auto.
                  I'm considering a swap into a Cherokee with the AW4 myself. Though not until next year at the earliest.

Comment

I am new to the forum. I am considering an R2.8 Repower of a 1956 Willy’s Wagon. The current drivetrain is an orphan child. 283 small block, T18, divorced NP205 and FJ40 axles. Everything is up for grabs. I was thinking R2.8 with a new H55F and Toyota transfer case and keeping the FJ axles. The rig will get a lot of highway use and some moderate wheeling. I live in Crested Butte Colorado. Any good adapters for this setup or any better setup suggestions. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Hello, I’m new to this group, I have an 84 Bronco With a 300 six and C6 on 33’s zero lift. Advance adapters says they have nothing for the C6 so I’m wondering about options. I haven’t purchased the 2.8 yet but this is the future plan. I’m building this as a Father Son overland rig as I’m now retired from the Marines and am making up for lost time! Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The 2.8 won't work well with a non-electronic automatic transmission like the C6.

Best bet for simplicity is converting to a manual transmission. Otherwise, using a chevy electronic automatic like the 4L60E or 6L80E will have the most support from the aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by swgilk23 View Post
                          In the Scout II Diesels, IH used a special bellhousing on the T19 to make it SAE #4. That might present more options than trying to mate to the IH bellhousing pattern. Scout IIs then used the Dana 20 or Dana 300 (1980 only) transfercase, which have some advantages over the Dana 18. An advantage of the Dana 18 is the ability to add a planetary overdrive.

You can also get a Ford T19 or even convert a 2WD T19 to 4WD with parts that are available.

We considered all of these options when repowering our ScoutII, and ended up going with a modern five speed in the end.

Comment

I’m planning a 2.8t 1970 4x4 Suburban build. Currently running the sm465 into the np205. Would love to keep it. Current gear set is 3.73. AD and Axis offer adapters. Any insight or suggestions.

Comment

RePowerToy, I am just checking to see if you made any progress on an adapter plate for the 4HP22 Disco transmission yet?

Comment

Pulled the plug personally. I know Rover adapters exist that should work with the 4hp. We ended up just sticking with the heavier duty GM transmissions because we are concerned with the LR trans holding up over time.

Comment

Working...
                                X