No announcement yet.

Transmission options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! New to the forum. So I’m looking at pulling the plug and buying a R2.8 for my Toyota FJ Cruiser.
    I like to use the stock A750F transmision.
    Is there a adapter plate that would work for this transmission?
    If not what transmission would be a good fit to use?

Comment

Hi, I'm looking to swap the R2.8 into a 2001 Dakota 4X4. My truck has an NV3500 and I was wondering if a swap to an NV3550 would work with shifter placement and transfer case? I assume this would be the simplest option with the availability of adapters. From what I've read they have similar housings with the exception of the removeable bellhousing.

Comment

Originally posted by swgilk23 View Post
        Any thoughts on the 2.8 mating to a 1967 International Scout 4 speed? Borg Warner, T18/19 if I remember correctly
        I'm doing the same thing into my 1980 Scout.

I have the T-19 with the SAE#4 bellhousing on it (I've seen those bellhousings available fairly cheap, they don't bolt up to any other engine directly)

What I've found this weekend is that I need a 3" spacer between the engine (with it's ~15.6" all-but-one-bolt-circular pattern) and the transmission (with it's 15" circular pattern)

I'm currently thinking of having rings for each end laser/waterjet cut and then having a machine shop roll me a 3" long tube that's 14.5" OD (I'll have to machine a 1/8" rabbit in the transmission ring)

David Lang

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
          Weight reduction is worth it because it’s rotational. There is a limit but usually lighter is better.
          This is talking about flywheel weight

in racing they are always looking for a light flywheel because that lets the engine rev faster and you are focusing on acceleration for racing.

However, if you are focusing on maintaining speed, then a heavy flywheel can help as it helps keep the engine speed up as you hit an obstruction. It also helps keep the engine from bogging down when you let out the clutch. There are a lot of cases where underpowered vehicles get away with it because they have very heavy flywheels (IIRC, the original model T with low double digit HP had something like a 15 pound flywheel).

The diesel Scouts with a 101HP engine had a _very_ heavy flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Malala View Post
            I’m planning a 2.8t 1970 4x4 Suburban build. Currently running the sm465 into the np205. Would love to keep it. Current gear set is 3.73. AD and Axis offer adapters. Any insight or suggestions.
            playing around with my calculator ( http://lang.hm/scout/nph-performance6.cgi ) it looks like that combination could work, but you are going to have trouble on hills

the green line shows where the cut-off would be with 33" tires at 3600 rpm, the red line is what you can do if you continue out to the engine redline @4200 rpm

a 6000 pound vehicle needs ~500 pounds of thrust to maintain speed going up a 5% grade, according to this graph you are right about that that in 3rd gear @60mph and somewhere around 350-400 pounds of thrust in 4th.

Comment

I'm guessing these is no love for the ZF series of manual transmissions like the ZF-S542 and S547? I prefer the ratio options on these boxes over the AX15 ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandonium View Post
                I'm guessing these is no love for the ZF series of manual transmissions like the ZF-S542 and S547? I prefer the ratio options on these boxes over the AX15 ratios.
                You'd probably have better luck with the NV4500. Lots more aftermarket support for that trans.

Comment

Axis makes an adapter for the NV4500 don't they? I guess the question is which variety of the NV4500 since they span more than one manufacturer and those varieties come in more than one spline count?

Originally posted by GrimmJeeper View Post

You'd probably have better luck with the NV4500. Lots more aftermarket support for that trans.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandonium View Post
                    Axis makes an adapter for the NV4500 don't they? I guess the question is which variety of the NV4500 since they span more than one manufacturer and those varieties come in more than one spline count?

You can use this adapter with a chevy bellhousing: http://www.axisindustriesusa.com/r2-...v-adapter-kit/

I assume you'd have the chevy flywheel and clutch so no issues there. And then whatever rear configuration suits you (i.e. 2wd or 4wd with a chevy tcase).

Comment

I'm trying to pair the 2.8 with with a wide ratio five speed with pto options which is short (like the NV and ZF) and pair it with the LT230 since my existing setup uses the same drop setup as the rovers. I have a total of 59" worth of space available from drive pulley to rear output shaft.. at 60" I meet a cross member.

Originally posted by GrimmJeeper View Post

You can use this adapter with a chevy bellhousing: http://www.axisindustriesusa.com/r2-...v-adapter-kit/

I assume you'd have the chevy flywheel and clutch so no issues there. And then whatever rear configuration suits you (i.e. 2wd or 4wd with a chevy tcase).
                      Last edited by Brandonium; 11-09-2018, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Check these adapters out,I believe you will save 2” over the spacer adapters
                        https://quickdrawbrand.com/

Comment

2012 nissan frointier 4x4. Will that transmission work with the 2.8 and is there an adaptor for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gdog455 View Post
                            2012 nissan frointier 4x4. Will that transmission work with the 2.8 and is there an adaptor for this?
                            Great question that I don’t know the answer for. Most likely not because this engine is only emissions legal up to ‘99. I know Cummins has this engine in a frontier but it was an early test vehicle back around 08 or 09. But it was custom built.

Comment

So I’m still figuring out what all I’m going to use. The 2.8 is going in my 86 4runner and I originally was wanting to use my W56 but I have an R150 that came with a gen 2 we got for a parts truck. I know I’ll have to double up on adapters to mate it, but I’ve never even had to use one adapter, how much of a headache is it gonna be to double up on adapters? What kind of problems am I gonna run into? Any insight?

Comment

• BrdHntn
                                BrdHntn commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Depending on where you set the motor, you're probably at least looking at modifying the shifter opening on the transmission tunnel, driveline lengths, and relocating the cross member mount for the transmission/transfer case

Curious to hear if anyone has figured out a good option for the R150?

Comment

• BrdHntn
                                BrdHntn commented
                                Editing a comment
                                From what I've found, the R series are the same bolt pattern as the AX15 so a bellhouse/adapter would work. Was told you'd need to swap out the input shaft from a Jeep.
                            Working...
                            X