No announcement yet.

Transmission options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been following this and other threads, pertaining to transmission/adapter options for the Cummins 2.8L diesel engine. Has anyone looked into the GM 8L90e transmission? Just by the model, it may be a good 'fit', if the 6L80e adapter will work with it (?). Only downside may be that it only comes in a 2WD version (unknown). In my case, that's what I'm looking for anyway - a 2WD / RWD option for my project... Thoughts? Has anyone looked into the GM 8L90e transmission?

Comment

I thought I'd heard of an 8 speed used with one of these, but it may have been one of the Dodge transmissions.

This engine does have a nice RPM range where a lot of 4 speed and above transmissions, gearing wise would work well. I'm running an AX-15 and I really like where I can shift to fall into the next gear/RPM range. I still need to change out my axle ratios though to meet my "best" gearing, but my change is very slight from 3.07s to 3.55s, with 33" tires. I figure if I want to tow more , I can put on my 31s or smaller if I need a bit more, but I've pulled over 3k lbs with my current setup and it's been pretty good. Take off with a slight incline was noticeable though. Until the turbo kicked in the load seemed too heavy. That's not a typical trailer I'd pull though, but my truck batteries died and I needed to haul some junk.

Comment

Another adapter option for transmissions - http://www.zerogravityperformance.co...transmissions/

Comment

I have a 95 Hardbody with an FS5R30A 5 speed transmission and need to know if the Cummins will bolt up or there is an available adaptor.

I am completely restoring my 95 Hardbody XE V6 4X4 and am very interested in the Cummins, if I can make it work.

Comment

R150 isn’t hard. It does require 2 adapters or possibly quick draw might have a bellhousing now but not sure. Running the 2 adapters is no issue. It’s an adapter and a bellhousing. Advance adapters is the best choice to get the required parts.

Comment

New to the thread and forum,

I have read most of the posts and didn’t notice much other than GM tranny adapters. I was wondering if anyone had information on adapters from the R2.8 to a 42RLE (stock tranny in my 07 Jeep Wrangler) any advice or websites to further help out would be great. Thank you!

Comment

I believe the 42RLE is an issue because there's no controller support for the transmission. I've never messed with programming much, especially a transmission, but I've repeatedly read through swaps where they've tried to use it and simply have to give it up for another transmission.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm wanting to build a cj7 with the R2.8 on 33s and I would prefer a 6-speed manual because I plan on driving the jeep daily but also use the jeep to pull a small trailer for kayaks and camping gear. I was looking at different 6-speed and came across the Tremec Magnum close ratio 6-speed. Has anyone heard good or bad about this transmission for the R2.8 Cummins? One thing I really liked about the transmission is that it has 3 different placements that you can set it up to shift from. I was playing around with the gear calculator and with 3.73 on 33s with different speed and it seems to look like a good setup. The link is info about the t56.
                  https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...magnum-for-gm/

Comment

Has anybody heard of using a Getrag g56 with the r2.8?

Comment

Originally posted by CjCummins View Post
                      Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm wanting to build a cj7 with the R2.8 on 33s and I would prefer a 6-speed manual because I plan on driving the jeep daily but also use the jeep to pull a small trailer for kayaks and camping gear. I was looking at different 6-speed and came across the Tremec Magnum close ratio 6-speed. Has anyone heard good or bad about this transmission for the R2.8 Cummins? One thing I really liked about the transmission is that it has 3 different placements that you can set it up to shift from. I was playing around with the gear calculator and with 3.73 on 33s with different speed and it seems to look like a good setup. The link is info about the t56.
                      https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...magnum-for-gm/
                      I didn't see a 1st gear ratio that I'd want to do much towing with for the transmission. As far as compatibility, you could probably get a custom adapter pretty easily. I've towed some with my Jeep (most was about 3k lbs, but fairly regularly I'll tow about 1,500 lbs) and my first gear is 3.83 x 3.07 and I'm running 33s. It's ok, but I would really like more gear. I've looked into the 4.3 gear change in my transmission, but it seems like a pain, so I'm going to just go with an Atlas 4-speed eventually. I've got some other stuff I've got to do first before I get the Atlas ie gear ratio swap to 3.55.

In stock form the R2.8 seems to be pretty nice with the AX-15. I wish the Ax-15 was a bit deeper in 1st gear, but the steps to go to 4.3 or 5.15 aren't something I want to do. Of course you could also run that transmission and get an Atlas and run 2lo or 2 lo lo for some really easy towing (run through your gears in 2lo then shift to 2 hi and go through a bunch more gears), but then I wouldn't probably look at anything but the Atlas 4 or something similar so you can get all the useful ratios.

Comment

Working...
                      X