Gearing for optimal use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salem747 View Post
    The reason I was thinking the nv4500 over some of the lighter options is for potentially towing a smallish trailer (2500-3000#?) and for when the aftermarket does anything fun for the R2.8.
    Sounds like a very good option then. I do think the AX-15 can handle that towing, depending on gearing, but I'd definitely want more gearing in 1st than what I've currently got.and over the long haul, the NV4500 is a great transmission.

What axles are you gonna run? I have to admit that I don't know much about the Toyota axles.I mostly know about some of the Ford stuff, AAM, and Danas. Have you thought about gearing and tire size? I can't wait to see details on your build. I love seeing what people are choosing to do for cooling, gauges, tire size, gearing, exhaust (engine sounds pretty good straight and stubby btw), etc.

Comment

I'm told the Toyota axles are actually quite good and I have 2 sets! They seem to be 3.73 gearing and looks like the r2.8 would be quite happy with that and 33s.

The one issue with the Toyota axles is using them means you pretty much have to use thier case or an atlas 2. Because both driveline run under the passenger side, unlike the NP where the rear comes out the middle.

Makes me wonder about a 460 lb-ft trans and a much weaker t case (although I do have 2 of them now!)

Lots to think about (and pay for, doh).

Comment

Yeah 3.73s will work pretty well with 33s. I have debated the 3.55 vs 3.73 a bunch, when I swap gear ratios. I think I'd just go Atlas, which I'll be doing at some point. Do you have a preference for the Atlas 2 vs the Atlas 4 speed? I can't decide between the 2. Of course with the NV4500 and 3.73s, I think the decision would be easier for the 2 speed.

Comment

Atlas would be nice because it is totally customizable but dang spendy! I would only go 2 speed for sure, no rock crawling for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Salem747 View Post
            Atlas would be nice because it is totally customizable but dang spendy! I would only go 2 speed for sure, no rock crawling for me.
            I've never really rock crawled either, but even in mud, I keep finding it easier and easier going slower and slower. Also I'll move stuff around like farm implements, tractors, cars, trucks and I like keeping things static as much as possible, either by using my bumpers or straps. The slower the better from my experience, but I've never really used a crawl ratio numerically higher than 70:1 (probably in a tractor, but tire size is vastly different and I don't know the speed), so I've got no idea if more is actually useful or not. I have heard that slower may have a lot more advantages than most people seem to think, but I just don't know. But to drop $3k+ and not know is probably not gonna happen. Maybe I could double up on my truck transfer case and see if it helps or not before I buy an Atlas.

I know last year while I was swapping the R2.8 in my Jeep, I was using my 4wd in my truck a lot and 4x4 Hi was almost useless. I had pretty bald tires, but in 4lo I could go through most stuff and 4hi I could barely make it through anything.

Comment

I have discovered that the atlas cant be a full right hand drive, so it is as useful to me as any other transfer case. Would need an axle swap to make it work.

So, my only choice is a Toyota. The h55 is a five speed and looks like it would keep the R2.8 happy with 33s.

Now to find one and a matching tcase.

Comment

Working...
              X