operating coolant temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• operating coolant temp

Hey guys, just wondering what people are getting as their highway operating temps. I’m running my 2.8 in a TJ and it’s overheated on me a few times now. My normal temperatures at 90-100kph is anywheres between 195-205 deg F. This seems surprisingly high for highway speeds in a diesel

How hot is “overheating”??
    it turns EGR off at 225 and starts pulling fueling at 236-8 I believe.

OE operating temp is 210.... normally.

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
      How hot is “overheating”??
      it turns EGR off at 225 and starts pulling fueling at 236-8 I believe.

OE operating temp is 210.... normally.
      It’s gotten in excess of 225 multiple times. I guess I would consider that “overheating”

Comment

I would agree too hot. Who’s cooling system or kit do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by RePowerToy View Post
          I would agree too hot. Who’s cooling system or kit do you have?
          It was probably ignorant of me To do but I read a response from someone here on the forum and used the stock 4L fan and coolant tank. I tied in the tstat and purge screw lines into the top of the stock tank and just using the rad vent line. I’m starting to think I’m going to have to go to a pressurized tank.
          Last edited by Rseo10; 04-26-2019, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Just to chime in, I run on the highway about 180-190F. For 4low off-road typically closer to 190F. Not sure I've seen more than 192F. It hasn't been hot yet outside, but I've towed and towed off-road as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJeep View Post
              Just to chime in, I run on the highway about 180-190F. For 4low off-road typically closer to 190F. Not sure I've seen more than 192F. It hasn't been hot yet outside, but I've towed and towed off-road as well.
              Interesting. I think I got up around 195-200 this morning on my drive to work. 20 minutes at around 60 mph. 20 deg F outside

Comment

Last Friday evening with temperatures around 60 I climbed a hill in 4lo and the temp flirted with 200F. I think my fan is set to kick on at 215, but I can't remember and I'm almost certain it has never come on. We'll see this summer, as I assume with it being 90 or 100, that climb will finally get the temp up. This is all done at idle, I give it fuel and the tires spin, but I can idle up through the slippery mud pretty easily. I wonder how this will be once I change transfer cases and half my current 4lo speed.

Btw I know in my head that 200F isn't a big deal or even 210 etc, but I'm just not used to it. When I first started running it seemed rare to be over 170s, which worried me, except in 4lo with extended climbs and it took that to finally open up the thermostat from what I could tell.

Comment

If your fan is being turned on by the Cummins ECM it should come on at 196f not 215f.
                  I would say you need more fan or more cooling package completely. On a 60 degree day you shouldn’t be getting over 200 imo. Even pushing it hard.

Comment

I really don't know what the fan is set to kick on at, but even if it was on I have no way to get it over 190F without being in 4Lo and then it's hard to see the fan. I just wired it per my understanding of the instructions. I think it was wired utilizing the Cummins wiring. I'll check when I get a chance. How noticeable is a fan when it kicks on? When the thermostat opens it drops quick. If I'm doing over a couple of mph it seems to drop quickly too, which is how I would expect it to be with the fan running.

Comment

Working...
                    X