What tunes are out there for the R2.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tunes are out there for the R2.8

So are their any tunes out there for more HP and TQ for the R2.8? Whether it be from Aftermarket or Cummins I am curious to see what this little mill has

Nothing from Cummins as of yet, I know EFI live will communicate with the r2.8 but have not personally messed with it. I know some shops are working on tunes but the only one I know of is Brusier who has a 450ish ft lb tune for the r2.8. However I believe this much power has already killed one of their customers engines.... this engine is good to 380 ft lbs in my opinion. But more power means shorter life, which is why I have not bother tuning one yet.
    If you want LS power you would put an LS in, the r2.8 makes great power right where you drive every day. 95% of the time you will never think I wish I had more, I can honestly say the only time I have even thought this was towing a trailer I shouldn’t have been...... like total gross weight was more than 10k lbs.

if you have never driven one find one near you and beg to drive it. If you are near NM come drive any of them here, you will be happy.

Sorry that was not meant to Be a rant. Lol

Comment

Actually If I were to put a tuner on this motor, I would go no more than 190 hp and 300ish ft/lbs of torque, And I am up in Alberta Canada, not many R2.8 repowers up here yet. I was actually asking for a buddy that is about to start a 4BT swap in his Toyota Landcruiser, he was asking because he wants more power and torque. Believe me, if I wanted to hot rod this thing, it would be. Below is my other weekend hobby, 2500hp and a low 6 second 1/4 mile

Comment

That’s awesome! Nice car. I love to see the tire twist photos, good stuff
        I have driven a few land cruisers with the r2.8 and all have more than enough power. Even a heavy 80 series.

Comment

I would also be interested in a”minor” tune like Bear.

Comment

Good things come to those that wait. Hopefully something good later this year........that’s all I can say for now.

Comment

I heard that Cummins is coming out with a tune, 330 ft/lbs (no HP #'s mentioned), that would be one to get, Cummins would not put out something that is going to damage their own equipment.....I hope.

Comment

I am not 100% on official numbers but yea they are.
                As a corporation they would never do that, it would be too costly to the reputation.

Comment

Can’t wait to see what develops.

Comment

I got the email today. 160 HP and 310 tq.

That's enough to push it into almost enough for a half ton truck/SUV.

Comment

Yep, it’s nice too. Little better throttle map it seems too, been running it a bit for testing.

Comment

I was looking at the specs for the OEM motor in my 86 J10. 144HP and 280 ft-lbs. And the torque drops off significantly above 4000 RPM. The R2.8 would probably be an overall improvement.

I have a 700R4 in it now so a swap to a 4L60E would be pretty easy. I already run around 22-2300 RPM at 75 on the freeway.

I just need to get moved next month and I could start setting up a build plan...

Comment

That sounds great! I am fond of J trucks and would love to see that.

Comment

RePowerToy i have an earlier model R2.8 with the old tune, how do i load the new calibration that cummins just released for 310ftlbs of torque?

Comment

Best bet to remain in warranty is to contact Cummins support and mail the, the ECM for a reflash. I can flash them here, but I don’t really tell anyone because no one can tell me for sure if I will void a warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X